Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ascend Atmos speakers?

Default Re: Ascend Atmos speakers?

I'm considering a future upgrade to create a 7.2.4 ATMOS setup. I'm thinking of installing HTM-200's as front height and top middle ATMOS speakers in what is currently a 7.2 system. The front heights would be mounted on a 16" high soffet, two feet from the front wall and a bit inboard of the mains (which are wider than the soffet to clear the sides of a projection screen. (Possible complication: there's crown molding running through the middle of the soffet as a cradle for rope lighting. Speakers would be necessarily mounted above and then tilted down to clear the crown molding, so the mount would have to be 5-6 inches long.) The top middles would be ceiling mounted overhead and just forward of the main listening area. So, a few questions:

* Does this arrangement seem adequate for ATMOS? Any better ideas for placement of 4 speakers? (Hat tip to Rob H. at AVRant).

* Any ideas on mounting solutions? I'd like longish swiveling brackets for the fronts in order to mount them above the crown molding and tilt them down. The rear surrounds are HTM-200's and mounted like this but they're not long enough, since all they do is tilt down to rest on the wall. The top middles should attach directly to the ceiling, firing straight down. **Securely.**

* What about orientation? The fronts can be vertical or horizontal but vertical would probably look better and be easier to mount. (On the other hand, horizontal orientation could use a shorter mount since it could rest on the crown molding. The mounting point would be offset left-right though.) The tops would necessarily be horizontal (long axis left to right). Possible tweeter rotation like the Sierra center or does this not matter for the HTM-200?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Blue Dude; 01-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Hi. Any insight on my installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dude View Post
    Hi. Any insight on my installation?
    Hey,

I like the speaker placement. It seems optimal. HTM 200 SEs are ideal in my opinion.

The Pinpoint AB100s are about as secure as you can get.

Mounting them horizontal with tweeter on the bottom angled toward seating position would be ideal since your nearest boundary interference would be the ceilng and soffit.

Hope this helps!

The Pinpoints look secure enough but I was hoping to mount them flat to the ceiling, or at least keep the clearance to under an inch. Have you run across a bracket that will do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dude View Post
    The Pinpoints look secure enough but I was hoping to mount them flat to the ceiling, or at least keep the clearance to under an inch. Have you run across a bracket that will do this?
    Do you mean flush mount the 200's to the ceiling with the drivers firing directly downward?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yes, that would be ideal.

Not sure if you have attic access, but I'm currently installing 4 HTM-200s as tops for atmos. The two inserts are not in the middle of the speaker, so I didn't trust flush mounting them on the ceiling because 3/4 of the weight would essentially be functioning as a lever. I'm sure they would be just fine, but I'm a big fan of overkill.

I added 2 hanger bolts at the same distance from the edge as the top inserts. I didn't want to penetrate the back of the speaker, so I only drilled 1/2" deep and put the screws in .43" deep. I used 2 threaded rods for the inserts (which for some reason are M6 not 1/4-20 on all 4 speakers).

On another note, my initial impression of adding the tops (TF/TR) in my 5.2.4 is amazing! Sound all around and I don't miss the rears one bit. It's like going from 2.1 to 5.1. The dolby upmixer is also phenomenal.

They blend perfectly with the RAAL towers and horizon. IMHO, they are excellent atmos speakers.

http://imgur.com/a/uw095
    Last edited by yesplease; 02-25-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
    Not sure if you have attic access, but I'm currently installing 4 HTM-200s as tops for atmos. The two inserts are not in the middle, so I didn't trust flush mounting them on the ceiling because 3/4 of the weight would essentially be functioning as a lever. I'm sure they would be just fine, but I'm a big fan of overkill.

I added 2 hanger bolts at the same distance from the edge as the top inserts. I also didn't want to penetrate the back of the speaker so I only drilled 1/2" deep and put the screws in .43" deep. I used 2 threaded rods for the inserts (which for some reason are M6 not 1/4-20 on all 4 speakers).

On another note, my initial impression of adding the tops (TF/TR) in my 5.2.4 is amazing! Sound all around and I don't miss the rears one bit. It's like going from 2.1 to 5.1. The dolby upmixer is also phenomenal.

They also blend perfectly with the RAAL towers and horizon. IMHO, they are excellent atoms speakers.

http://imgur.com/a/uw095
    Nice work! I may be borrowing your idea when I build my dedicated room in the coming year or so.

Interesting idea! I do have attic access and this looks like a real possibility.