Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subs and pro-logic receivers

I would hook up the speakers using the speaker level inputs/outputs on the sub, and then use the subs crossover.

-curtis

If the sub you choose has no crossover, the Outlaw ICBM would do the trick!

Ed

Thanks for the responses,

So I emailed SVS, and they also suggested using Paradigm X-10/20/30, problem is I can only seem to find pricing on the x-30, and even that is used. Otherwise it looks like i would have to spend 200-300 on an outboard crossover (outlaw or the x-30). This would seem to make the decision much easier sound quality asside between the two subs, however, sound quality not asside I am going to have to consider other options if the reviews of the new SVS sub are as good as the specs. I don't really see what use i would have for the outlaw or paradigm unit once I upgrade my current receiver. So it seems like i would be better off spending a bit more and being able to get more longevity out of the unit. Would it work to purchase a preamp in the 400-500 range to do the cross-over then use the preamp in on my current reciever till i am able to purcahse a seperate pro amp. Also, do you guys have any recomendations in that range, becasue if i decide to do this ill have to start my research.

Thanks

Steve

Just a question...why not just upgrade your receiver?
    There are some very good models in the $300-$400 range
    that have pro-logic, PLIIx, DD, DTS etc.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by mattepntr

Just a question...why not just upgrade your receiver?
    There are some very good models in the $300-$400 range
    that have pro-logic, PLIIx, DD, DTS etc.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Basically the way i see my budget being the next few years (Im a sophmore in College right now, thinking about law school after) I will probably be able to make 1-2 $400ish purchases a year towards my system. Because of that I am trying to upgrade in a way that makes the least amount of what I buy obsolete as I upgrade. So i got my current reciever as a hand me down. The sound seems pretty clear, and miles better than a pioneer unit I was using before. Because of this Im thinking that it might make sense to by a pre amp and sub within the next year or so, then later upgrade to monoblocks or something. If I were to buy a new receiver now, I feel like i would be wanting ot upgrade it about 2 years down the road and lose the investment. Also, I dont really need full surround capablities right now because 2 or 2.1 channel music is much more important to me. Hmm i should really learn to cut the length of these posts down, sorry

Steve

what amps would you use if you got a preamp? The amps in your current receiver?

If you are going to stick to 2.0 or 2.1, I'd say get a nice used integrated amp.

-curtis

yeah i would use the one on my current reciever. The proble is dont most of the well priced good integrated amps lack a sub out?

Steve

Yes...most do not have a sub out, which is why I think mattepntr suggested a inexspensive AV receiver. You can run that in 2.1 or 2.0 mode until you are ready to put more speakers into your system.

-curtis

Am I right in understanding that in most cases the going to a seperate pre amp makes a much bigger difference then seperate pro amps. If thats the case what is the benefit for me to get a moderately priced receiver to replace my current one rather than buy a pre amp and use the amps in my current reciever.

Steve