Thread: speaker cable recommendations for Sierra-2s

Post speaker cable recommendations for Sierra-2s

I just recently took delivery of a pair of Sierra-2s (having already owned Sierra-1s for some years) and am so far very pleased. I have been wondering whether another speaker cable would serve the speaker better than the 12G Monoprice wire I am currently using. I unfortunately need a 25 foot run and felt that the ultralink bulk cable sold by Ascend is probably not much better than the Mono. I obviously want to avoid the snake oil cables, but I have been wondering whether some entry level cables (Blue Jean Canare 4s11, Audioquest type-4, QED XT40, River Cable Starflex or others) might be a meaningful improvement. I wonder if anyone has some experience with such an upgrade for the Sierra-2s. I am running them with an Acurus DIA-150 integrated amp that runs about 150 per channel into 8 ohms. I look forward to your thoughts.

Default Re: speaker cable recommendations for Sierra-2s

Quote Originally Posted by bradf View Post
    I just recently took delivery of a pair of Sierra-2s (having already owned Sierra-1s for some years) and am so far very pleased. I have been wondering whether another speaker cable would serve the speaker better than the 12G Monoprice wire I am currently using. I unfortunately need a 25 foot run and felt that the ultralink bulk cable sold by Ascend is probably not much better than the Mono. I obviously want to avoid the snake oil cables, but I have been wondering whether some entry level cables (Blue Jean Canare 4s11, Audioquest type-4, QED XT40, River Cable Starflex or others) might be a meaningful improvement. I wonder if anyone has some experience with such an upgrade for the Sierra-2s. I am running them with an Acurus DIA-150 integrated amp that runs about 150 per channel into 8 ohms. I look forward to your thoughts.
    Hi Brad,

In my professional opinion, provided you are currently running decent speaker cable (which you are), changing speaker cable will make no meaningful / audible difference in performance.

Again, this is in my professional opinion
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No the ultralink cables may not be audibly better but they look nice and why I purchased/ use them with my mains. Even tried my hand at DIY speaker cables beforehand...I should have just settled on the UL cables from the outset, they're well built & insulated and you'll avoid second guessing yourself....JMO.

Re,

Bill
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Brad,

In my professional opinion, provided you are currently running decent speaker cable (which you are), changing speaker cable will make no meaningful / audible difference in performance.

Again, this is in my professional opinion
    Good to know. I have this same wire with banana plugs and was planning on using with my new Sierra 2s