Thread: My ARC 1M Readings

Default My ARC 1M Readings

I just ran anthem arc 1m with all of my acoustical treatments from gik. I think everything looks good, but i am concerned about the subwoofer reading. What is the hump at the end? I am a newbe at this, so can someone explain it to me. What do you think?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: My ARC 1M Readings

Your measurements look pretty clean above 400-500hz so you may want to keep ARC corrections limited to that, up to you you can have two separate config's so you can try and see which you like better.

I guess your questioning upper end of the sub response the peak at 1k? I would say that your sub crossover is bypassed running a full range signal. It can also be above the max correction frequency of ARC. It could be resonances in the woofer/enclosure or possibly even noise from cabling/amplification. I'd recommend enabling the crossover on the subwoofer but keep it at max 120hz.. and rerun ARC.

A nice feature of the Anthem is that you can do a manual ARC, quick measure of the sub channel to see the effect of placement, phase and crossover, sub eq changes in real time on the curve. I would recommend you use the sub settings to tweak it close, then rerun the full ARC once you are happy and it should fine tune. Leaving it as is is okay but it can muddy up the mid bass and vocals definitely at higher volume. What kind of sub is this? If it is a Rythmik you may want to try LINE IN over LFE IN.

The same thing happened to me, here is a my report.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eyecatcher; 01-15-2016 at 10:14 AM.

You are correct eyecatcher, I was questioning the response above 1k. The subwoofer I have is the LV12R. I have it connected to the LFE input which disables the crossover adjustment. What kind of subwoofer do you have? Are you saying that I should I connect my subwoofer through the line in connection to enable the crossover setting adjustment? If so, how will it affect the sound when I watch movies?

Yes, I would recommend the line in, I have my F15HP set to Line, 80hz/24dbI would say the sound would be improved as it should match the target curve and there would not be any bleed at 1K that would overlap other channels.

Some would argue the LFE of movies shouldn't have content out there but the integration from sub to mains is important for smooth frequency response transition. 2.1 or multichannel music is where this will further benefit. Unfortunately Anthem doesn't display this but it is measurable with other tools. Also using line would also give you the ability to adjust the phase if necessary to smooth response, as Anthem does not perform any phase compensation, only distance. The attachments display was of an SVS PB13 Ultra in my listening room. To a trained ear it might be noticeable. It made a positive difference in my setup. But you can be the judge. If you save these settings, it's easy to revert back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kef3992 View Post
    I just ran anthem arc 1m with all of my acoustical treatments from gik. I think everything looks good, but i am concerned about the subwoofer reading. What is the hump at the end? I am a newbe at this, so can someone explain it to me. What do you think?
    Try fully plugging the port with a towel and then re-run the same measurement. Do you still see that peak @ 1kHz? That looks to me like a small port resonance, which is normal.

That said, subwoofers are not meant to play those high frequencies and while ARC is measuring the full range response of the subwoofer, the subwoofer typically won't receive a signal much past 80Hz, so while you see this peak in the measurement, it is actually quite meaningless.

It is a bit like examining how well a Mustang handles at 600mph, doesn't make much sense
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I will try plugging the port and re-run the arc 1m. Thanks Dave. I think I will also try the line in. I need to order some cable from mono price. Subwoofer is on opposite side of room from receiver. I am curious if I will be able to hear a difference. Thank you eyecatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kef3992 View Post
    I will try plugging the port and re-run the arc 1m. Thanks Dave. I think I will also try the line in. I need to order some cable from mono price. Subwoofer is on opposite side of room from receiver. I am curious if I will be able to hear a difference. Thank you eyecatcher.
    I just want to be sure that you fully understand that ARC is simply measuring your subwoofer with a full range signal (silly IMO). That 1kHz peak is going to be there no matter how you connect the subwoofer, but -- the peak will not be there when you are using the subwoofer since the subwoofer would never be tasked with reproducing frequencies that high... There is no point on trying to "fix" it etc.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I understand now Dave. No use trying to fix something that will never occur when I am listening to music or watching movies. Thanks for explaining this to me!