Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VPI Turntable

Default Re: VPI Turntable

Just an update - haven't made it to VPI yet, but did wind up buying a Classic 1 a few months ago. Recently upgraded phono stage from a Musical Fidelity V90LPS (nice entry level preamp) to a Manley Chinook
    Last edited by racrawford65; 11-18-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Just an update - haven't made it to VPI yet, but did wind up buying a Classic 1 a few months ago. Recently upgrade phono stage from a Musical Fidelity V90LPS (nice entry level preamp) to a Manley Chinook
    How do you like the Classic 1?
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I really like it. Definitely prefer the looks of the Classic series to the Prime. Too bad VPI is going to discontinue the Classic series.
    Set-up wasn't too difficult.
    Excellent speed stability and isolation.
    No issues handling the unipivot tonearm.

Curious to hear the 3d arm -- may have to pick one up in the future (or, trade-up to the Classic Signature if I see one at a good price!)

Towards the end of last year, I added the Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU and Roadrunner Tach (purchased as Phoenix was closing down so would no longer be available). Whether or not the Classic needed is debatable, but like to monitor the speed (generally +/- 0.004, which is essentially within the accuracy of the tach, I believe).

Recently, I rearranged my media room. When turning up to around -14 on my MRX510, would start to get feedback in my turntable. So, I added a Symposium Segue Iso vibration platform. Highly recommended. Improved sound, plus eliminated the feedback problem (at least when cranking to +1)

Glad you're enjoying your new system. What kind of music do you listen to most? I don't know a thing about classical but find myself more often than not grabbing a multi channel symphony on sacd and thoroughly enjoying the sound.

Mostly, I listen to rock -- metal, hard, classic, southern, progressive. Favorite bands include Sabbath, Metallica, Marillion, Pink Floyd, etc.

Also listen to Jazz and Classical. Can't stand country, rap, or disco.

Yeah I picked up a used copy on Amazon of Queen's Night at the Opera on DVD-A 5.1 surround. Holy crap that sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Mostly, I listen to rock -- metal, hard, classic, southern, progressive. Favorite bands include Sabbath, Metallica, Marillion, Pink Floyd, etc.

Also listen to Jazz and Classical. Can't stand country, rap, or disco.
    I would absolutely love to hear some Sabbath on a rig like yours, that must be insane. I'd also love to hear some Vader, Opeth, Suffocation, and other death metal bands on there, but hey =)

Sounds like you made some great additions to your rig as well. I am jealous for sure.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks, Alex --

Sabbath kicks for sure -- I've got most of their albums on vinyl -- all the Ozzy (except for 13, which I have on CD but haven't gotten the LP yet) & Dio stuff - plus several of the later - all original pressings. Did also buy the 3 2 LP deluxe editions (1st three albums) which are really good.

I'll have to check out some of those death metal bands --- or, if you're ever in Houston, bring them over :-)