Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPI Turntable

Default VPI Turntable

I'm considering upgrading my turntable (currently a Denon DP-47F) to a VPI -- looking at the Traveler or Scout Jr. Any one have any experience/recommendation for one over the other?

Music is primarily rock (heavy metal to progressive).

thanks for the inputs.

Default Re: VPI Turntable

I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say in response to your post because I'm planning on getting a turntable. While I'm not limiting myself to a particular brand, I would like to keep my expenditure below $600 since this will be my first foray in the world of turntables and don't know what the future holds for me in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbolz View Post
    I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say in response to your post because I'm planning on getting a turntable. While I'm not limiting myself to a particular brand, I would like to keep my expenditure below $600 since this will be my first foray in the world of turntables and don't know what the future holds for me in this regard.
    I was in the exact same situation a few months ago. Long story short I ended up going with the Music Hall mmf 2.3 in red from Needle Doctor. It sells for $549. I also bought the Parks Audio Budgie phono preamp (tube). At first the sound was a little muddled but the last few times I used it it's opened up beautifully. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've considered Music Hall, Project and Rega but I'm hoping there is something else out there. better and going for less than $ 600.
    Steelbolz

ST RAAL, Emotiva ERC 3, XPA 2 and USP 1.

First of all apologies to the op for the derail. I could afford to buy a turntable in the range you're considering, and I'll be envious when you take delivery, but that would mean putting off purchasing a new pair of speakers later this year, hopefully Sierra 1's.

In the $600 range the only other ones I've read about are the lower Thorens which don't have great reviews, and the Pioneer PLX-1000 which, although marketed as a DJ table, has some great audiophile reviews. All the rest are Chinese made (Hanpin), some of which have pretty good reviews. (Denon, Teac etc). Looking forward to your elimination process and final decision. (I just noticed that Pioneer is also a Hanpin...)
    Last edited by doctors11; 02-20-2016 at 06:12 AM.

thanks, but no need to apologize for the derail :-). I've still not decided what table to get. Have a business trip to NJ in a few weeks and hoping to get to VPI for a demo.

That should be fun. Bringing your favorite albums to demo?

Did you ever make it to VPI?

I know this isn't quite in the league of VPI, but I think U Turn Audio is a wonderful alternative to companies like Rega, ProJect, and Music Hall. Their tables are built in Boston and are very utilitarian, similar to the ProJect tables, but not as much of a hassle. You don't have to take the damn thing apart to change the record speed and they don't use fishing line as a connection for counter-weights (something I've heard about Rega and Music Hall tables).

If you customize the table in their shop with an acrylic platter, Grado Blue1 cartridge, and cue, it's $399. Very reasonable. I have a couple of friends with the basic table and it absolutely destroys every other budget table any of us have heard. It sounds like it costs a lot more than it actually does. I think they are the biggest value in the vinyl world right now.

www.uturnaudio.com

Just an update - haven't been on the board recently as been doing a lot of travel for work.

Sludgeogre - did look at the Orbits, but didn't think they were an upgrade to my Denon. That said, if I didn't have a turntable, the Orbit would have been high on my list as an entry level table. Agree with your comments above on the value for the $.

Doctors11 - sent you a PM. Anyways, haven't made it to VPI yet. One of these trips to NJ (I go there a couple times a year).