Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Ryhmik

Default Re: Alternative to Ryhmik

Quote Originally Posted by RythmikAudio View Post
    Dave suggest FV15 becasue you mention the output is not enough. So we assume you just need more output and assume you play pretty loud. If you don't play loud, you can just boost the sub volume and that should give you the output. Another question is when you had F12, had you experimented with different damping setting and found what you liked? High damping sound of FV15HP is similar to the mid damping of our F15HP/F12. If you like the "full body" bass of F12 in mid damping or even low damping, then FV15HP or ported subs can actually give you that and at the same time plays 9db louder. It has this flexible damping control. You can create the type of bass sound you'd like.
    I use my L12 in a similar way. I keep it in "Low Music" for 2-ch listening because that is what sounds best to me in my room and then boost +3dB for multichannel HT via sub trim control in my AVR. It works well for both 2-ch music and movies in my 13x17x8 room.

Quote Originally Posted by RythmikAudio View Post
    Ported vs sealed is just a general guideline. It does not mean sealed subs always sound tighter than ported subs. Some sealed subs are just downright boomy. Your Sierra-2 is also ported. Does that make it less good than a selaed version? Do we suggest customers to plug the port to make it sealed? No. Dave had spend a lot of time to get the frequency response to the damping setting that he think is neutral. The decision of ported vs sealed also affects efficiency. In short, the debate btw sealed and ported goes beyond just labelling. What we need is find out what you really like.

Dave suggest FV15 becasue you mention the output is not enough. So we assume you just need more output and assume you play pretty loud. If you don't play loud, you can just boost the sub volume and that should give you the output. Another question is when you had F12, had you experimented with different damping setting and found what you liked? High damping sound of FV15HP is similar to the mid damping of our F15HP/F12. If you like the "full body" bass of F12 in mid damping or even low damping, then FV15HP or ported subs can actually give you that and at the same time plays 9db louder. It has this flexible damping control. You can create the type of bass sound you'd like.

Lastly, the midbass kick. I know you have said that is not what you are really after. But I think it may be and you just didn't realize. I once went to a demo of PA subwoofer and found that kick drum bass were much stronger and impressive. But as I listened more, I can tell the sound does not have the detail that we normally hear get from a home system. In addition, the midbass is so strong that it has become one-note and lack of texture detail. It is a euphonic form of one-note bass. The way to create that type of sound is 1) cut out low bass becasue low bass not only takes power and less audible, it distracts your brain as unnecessary nuances/background noise that you don't really care, and 2) boost midbass. Midbass is far more audible than low bass. Strong midbass fools a lot of listeners into thinking they hear more bass. To take advantage of that fact, there is a patent from SRS on how to make small subwoofers sound big bass. The trick is to intentionally create a lot of harmonic distortions in the midbass frequency range. The second trick speaker designers use when the bass is limited is to make the roll-off contour low damping. Low damping has a hump in FR before it starts to roll off. So on our F12, if you pick 28hz, then you almost want to use low damping. Again that is a trick to give you one note bass because low damping has more ringing.
    Can you tell us a little more about your mid bass drivers ( FM-8) I have a pair of Raal Towers and (2) F12's and I would like to put a pair of FM8's in the room with them.. (12x 16 room) .. One on each side of the couch or maybe right behind it ... I listen to alot of Live concerts loud.. Though it might really add the impact I'm looking for ..Good idea...?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanger 714 View Post
    Can you tell us a little more about your mid bass drivers ( FM-8) I have a pair of Raal Towers and (2) F12's and I would like to put a pair of FM8's in the room with them.. (12x 16 room) .. One on each side of the couch or maybe right behind it ... I listen to alot of Live concerts loud.. Though it might really add the impact I'm looking for ..Good idea...?
    How do you plan to do the bass management? The key is to be able to move the signals between 50hz to 150hz from front speakers to MB modules. So it does take a bit of planning.

How is the right way to do it? I have a Marantz 8801 as a pre ... Do I just run speaker wire from the subs somehow to the FM-8's ? .... What do I need to make it operational ..
    .( My amp is Outlaw 7500) ...
    Last edited by Wanger 714; 01-28-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanger 714 View Post
    How is the right way to do it? I have a Marantz 8801 as a pre ... Do I just run speaker wire from the subs somehow to the FM-8's ? .... What do I need to make it operational ..
    .( My amp is Outlaw 7500) ...
    You will need at least two set of pre outs, one full range and one low pass and high filter for the front speakers.
    I doubt you can do it on the 8801. But you can use the front preout for the FM module (Full range)and sub out for the F12. For speakers, i believe there are some high pass filter that you put in line with the wires.
    Last edited by RicardoJoa; 02-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Now that i think about it, you might actually be able to use just the bass management on the 8801.
    Not sure if is a good idea to split your sub out to 3 though. You will need to use the adjustment on the sub woofer settings.

Thanks , I think I should give Dave and Dina a call .. I have 2 F12s and was going (possibly) with 2 Mid Bass Modules .. One on each side of couch .. What did you mean by "3".. Was you thinking I only had one sub?.. I would actually be splitting them out to 4 right? .
    If its going to be a unwise move ,I am considering using 2 340s in the surround spots and taking my smaller satellites down .. I'm sure it seams like overkill, but video concerts (I think) would be killer ..If I go this route, I'm going with 4 subs...Well actually, I'm going with a couple more subs whichever way I choose to go .. I will pick up a couple F15HPs for the back of the room and then decide whether the mid bass'es are a good route or not .. This is probably the best way to put headphones in my living room ( LOL) for theses video concerts ..I already was talking to Rob... AKA FirstReflect, about setting up the 4 subs,,, but the 340s are something new I'm considering ..
    Last edited by Wanger 714; 02-01-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Yes i thought it would be three subs, in your case 4.

Would 2 LV12 work good with 340's lined up in front L,F,C in a 20x25 room or will I need 15 inch subs do the size of the room.
    I don't want base that shakes the walls just want it to sound deep not punchy when it calls for it like in Day of Thunder, when the dragon talks in the Hobbit or the jets in Top Gun.
    I was thinking of getting SIERRA-2s across the front but think I would need the Sierra Towers instead so I probably can't come up with the cash for the towers with the subs but the 340's make it more adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Would 2 LV12 work good with 340's lined up in front L,F,C in a 20x25 room or will I need 15 inch subs do the size of the room.
    I don't want base that shakes the walls just want it to sound deep not punchy when it calls for it like in Day of Thunder, when the dragon talks in the Hobbit or the jets in Top Gun.
    I was thinking of getting SIERRA-2s across the front but think I would need the Sierra Towers instead so I probably can't come up with the cash for the towers with the subs but the 340's make it more adorable.
    I would actually recommend going with (2) LV12R over a single 15. Send me an email or PM and we can discuss in more detail regarding your room and Sierra-2 or CMT-340.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com