Thread: Question about distortion performance of the 170SE

Default Question about distortion performance of the 170SE

Greetings,

I was wondering, doing research on the measurements of the 170 I noticed soundstage had measured the originals back in 2003. I read a thread about the changes to the SE having significant changes in the tweeter and even some in the now even more custom woofer having lowered a break-up mode.

How much has the distortion been reduced in general? I've already purchased my 170SE's a little while back (few months?), but I can't help but have my curiosity peaked when it comes to technical measurements.

Default Re: Question about distortion performance of the 170SE

Quote Originally Posted by Shike View Post
    Greetings,

I was wondering, doing research on the measurements of the 170 I noticed soundstage had measured the originals back in 2003. I read a thread about the changes to the SE having significant changes in the tweeter and even some in the now even more custom woofer having lowered a break-up mode.

How much has the distortion been reduced in general? I've already purchased my 170SE's a little while back (few months?), but I can't help but have my curiosity peaked when it comes to technical measurements.
    The changes in the original 170 woofer and tweeter were not based on lowering distortion. "Distortion" in loudspeaker design is one of the least concerning performance characteristics as anything below 1% is generally considered inaudible.

That said, the changes from the "classic" components to the new have been well documented here : http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...e-Edition-(SE)

I would say overall THD is reduced in the SE tweeter due to the double damping chambers, thus significantly lowering Fs but I would not expect a THD reduction in the SE woofer, except at higher power levels.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com