Thread: Please help me place my order!

I have a similar situation to yours. I'm going with 340's accross the front with SFT-2 or SVS-10 and 170's as surrounds. It's taken months of reading the various forums to come to the conclusion that a little extra cash is justified with the Ascends. Stop wondering and place your order. I don't mind if you copy my receipe. []

David

P.S. My wife thinks it's all unjustified. [V]

If it were me, I'd do 4 170's and the 340 center. I haven't heard the 200's, but the 170's I use as surrounds are wonderful with multi-channel music and HT. I have the VTF3-MkII sub, so I can't comment on the 2 you are looking at.

I agree with Eddie, especially if you think you might be interested in SACD/DVD-A. I run four CBM-170's on the "corners" with a CMT-340c center and a VTF-2 sub and I'm extremely pleased.

Not to spend more of your money, but in that room, I would even consider a STF-3.

-curtis

I made some more measurements, and a 12" tall speaker would come down to the very bottom edge of the doorframe when tilted down some into the listening area. I'm pretty sure this is going to look bad.

What am I giving up if I use 200's all the way around? If I do that, will a 340c be overkill; should I use a 170 center?

Edit: Never mind. Somewhere I got the idea that the 200 was smaller... it's only one inch shorter.

Backup plan... what would change if I mounted all four corners (170's) horizontally? Is this easy to do using the omnimounts?

Edit2: [Just saw these handy Icons at the top of each message... dummy me.] I should add that my listening area is approx 14' square, with the back 6 feet of the room being a walkway and cabinets behind the couch.

You can put to 170 on side w/o a problem and in your room if they are going over a door I'd recommend that or putting them with the tweeter to the bottom.

I too recommend the 340 CC and 170s elsewhere.

I've said in the past that my STF-2 is fine in my space which is larger than your room. With more experience I now get the punch you in the gut bass over the merely rattle the windows and vibrate the couch bass. I'd say get at least the STF-2. If you want to really feel the slam in your bass step up to the STF-3.