Page 23 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Hi All,
    I just joined this forum because of this speaker!

I have been wanting to upgrade my 13+ year old Axiom QS8's. Not bad mouthing Axiom at all, just the QS8's don't work for my big room, and I prefer direct sound to the reflected sound.

I was looking for a front ported speaker, so I can mount the speaker on the wall.

I have not heard any ascend speaker yet, but I have read great things for years.

The other speakers on my "short" list were KEF Q300, and HTD Level 3, and Chane and Dennis Murphy speakers. EPMTek and ELAC and the KEF LS50's are also on my list, but they did not have a front ported speaker.

These new speakers also look very NICE! I would be proud to have these mounted on my wall! The QS8's, while they do not work in my setting, look very nice!

The Q300 and HTD Level 3 are, of course, in a lower price bracket than these new Ascend speakers, and the LS50's were probably at the upper end of my price range, but it is funny, I did not have a specific price in mind, I was looking for the RIGHT speaker for my situation. I want this to be a (close to) a lifetime purchase.

I read all 22 pages, and if there was a discussion regarding hardware to mount the speakers on the wall, I missed it.

So, will there be any mounting hardware specific for this speaker?

I know there is generic hardware, but I would hate to go drilling screws in this beautiful speaker.

Thanks!

OH, PS, I should have added that I realize that this new custom designed Ascend speaker with the RAAL tweeter will be considered among the best possible sound I can possibly get, way above the other speakers I mentioned. That very much excites me, as I fell in love with B&W 801's in the 80's (of course that was billions of times more than my college budget would ever allow!), but have realized that I would never spend the kind of money (new speakers, or a new car, or multiple vehicle's!) on a speaker, even if I could afford it.
    Last edited by BuddTX; 04-15-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I apologize for the lack of updates for the past week. I know I have a lot of questions to answer here and I'll do my best to answer all of them in the next 48 hours.

I just had a meeting with Claus Futtrup from SEAS. We are making 2 changes to the custom SEAS woofer. One is a slight change to the surround compliance, the other is a slight change to the cone itself (slightly lower mass with an increase in stiffness by changing the weave)

This change will likely set us back a bit with regards to a release date, but like with every Ascend product - we are after maximum performance at all costs.

I have also made a slight change to the cabinet in the hopes of finding a solution on how to fit a fairly complex crossover into such a small cabinet. I will be picking up this new sample cabinet tomorrow. There is no change to the dimensions or tuning, just relocating the terminal cup cutout.

I also had the privilege of auditioning the best dome tweeter I have ever heard. It is ridiculously expensive and I can't believe I am saying this, but I honestly think the price is worth it... Ill discuss this in more detail in another thread.

Many have asked about a wall mounting solution for the Sat. I have been working on this and have found an interesting flush mount bracket that should work well. I have attached a pic. Basically, one piece would be attached to the top of speaker, and the other piece would be attached to the wall. The speaker would then slide down and secure into place. Far more secure and stable than a typical keyhole hanger.

sel-k418miniz-open-main.jpg
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

'maximum performance at all costs'

- Words to live by.

Can't wait to hear more. The longer I wait, the more I just want to buy a pair of Sierra 2's for surrounds, but I know these will be worth the wait, especially if they give my wallet a tiny break compared to the Sierra 2.

Oh and ahem satin black finishes please ahem cough.

Hi, these look great! I'm upgrading my 340/170 SE system to have a Horizon center and Sierra 2 mains, and I think these would make perfect surround speakers.

I am thinking of upgrading to Atmos by the end of the year possibly, would these work in a ceiling-mounted setup?

If Sierra Sats would be pure overkill for overheads, what would people recommend for ceiling speakers/brands that would match well with a RAAL speaker setup?
    Last edited by LexLynx; 04-27-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    WOW they look amazing!

Can we get a couple pictures showing the back of the baby Sierra?
    here you go. Although the final version will have some mounting hardware. We are planning on using the same terminal cup as we use in the 200's as this allows for nearly perfect flush mounting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Looking good Dave!

I noticed that the new, smaller woofer has a 6-hole pattern Vs. the larger woofer in the Sierra-2 having only a 4-hole pattern. Any particular reason for this?

Also, since you took the time to design a front ported design to allow near/on wall placement, are the binding posts recessed?
    The hole pattern for the woofer cutout is due to us using a stock SEAS basket frame. Thankfully, there is no reason to change this

Yep - binding posts will be recessed
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Gorgeous!
    Dave, what about the standard & NrT dome versions? Any experimentation with those yet?

These are really going to cause some commotion in the A/V world!
    For dome tweeter versions, I am playing around with a different SEAS woofer (treated paper) compared to Curv, which would bring the costs down a bit. Not there yet though, dome versions would likely be introduced after the ribbon version.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Dave, thanks for the report! I wish I had a reason like this to stay late at the office .

Since you mentioned efficiency and SPL: At this time my amp is an Emotiva Fusion 8100, capable of very real 5x80W or 2x120W (all channels active). My room is 13x17x8, with the listening position about 10' from the front speakers.

Do you believe the baby Sierras would provide enough SPL if used as L/R mains, crossed at 80Hz in conjunction with my Rythmik L12 sub?
    For that size room and with that much power, absolutely. These little speakers can reach surprising levels, they completely fill our extremely well damped listening room, which is similar in size to your room and I never reached more than 80 watts into them...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ...dome versions would likely be introduced after the ribbon version.
    Yaaaay!