Page 88 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8384858687888990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

The Luna Center sounds like it is going to be a special little speaker! Can’t wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The issue with a dual woofer MTM Sierra-2 is really about what actual performance benefits it would have over a single woofer version and if it would be worth the extra $$$. As it stands now - the custom RAAL ribbon and the custom 6" SEAS Curv woofer have both been specifically designed to work together to maximize performance. Adding a second woofer in an MTM design really doesn't improve performance - it would actually limit horizontal dispersion (if used horizontally) The only advantage would be an improvement to efficiency and dynamics (in the bandwidth of the woofer) for which the S2 tweeter would not be able to match.

To truly take advantage of having the additional woofer, we would need to use our 70-20xram ribbon, which would bring the costs to basically the same as our Horizon, with the Horizon still offering better performance.

Dual woofer MTM Luna (as a center) will provide very similar performance to the Sierra-2 in a very compact form factor (only 5.75" high) and would make for an ideal center with Sierra-2 as left / right.

We certainly could manufacture an MTM Sierra-2, but I honestly do not see the point as it would be a considerably larger and more expensive speaker than the Sierra-2 and it would not provide better performance. We would need to upgrade the tweeter as well...

Hope this makes sense
    That does make sense. Thanks.

I have a follow up question along the same lines. When the Sierra 2 is used as a center horizontally with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees, it too will have a more limited horizontal dispersion simply because there is a wider baffle. Right?

Is is possible for the Luna center to have similar horizontal dispersion as the Sierra 2, or would the MTM design be holding it back in some way? How would the horizontal dispersion compare with the Horizon center? The Horizon is probably a little bit wider, but it has the vertical tweeter over midrange which should help maintain good horizontal dispersion.

Ah yes, I forgot about the cost for performance aspect of it. That being said there would be more lobing on a Sierra-2 MTM vs the 340se due to the higher crossover needed for the Sierra-2 tweeter. Using the RAAL from the Towers/Horzion would fix that problem since it can be crossed over much lower. If such a speaker could be produced for lower cost than the Horizon, I think there could be a market for it. Of course performance would not be as good as the Horizon. But for me, the Horizon is just too big.

The issue with a dual woofer MTM Sierra-2 is really about ...

Dual woofer MTM Luna (as a center) will provide very similar performance to the Sierra-2 in a very compact form factor (only 5.75" high) and would make for an ideal center with Sierra-2 as left / right.

With my new Lunas, this could become interesting to me. So, the main reason to use a "center" Luna versus a center S2 would be the narrower cabinet (less height), right? How might the cost of a center Luna compare to the cost of a center S2?

If the mains are already "only" Luna, what if any advantage would there be to a center Luna versus a standard Luna on its side with rotated tweeter? (I think a rotated tweeter is an option?) Could I buy a single Luna?

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    That does make sense. Thanks.

I have a follow up question along the same lines. When the Sierra 2 is used as a center horizontally with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees, it too will have a more limited horizontal dispersion simply because there is a wider baffle. Right?

Is is possible for the Luna center to have similar horizontal dispersion as the Sierra 2, or would the MTM design be holding it back in some way? How would the horizontal dispersion compare with the Horizon center? The Horizon is probably a little bit wider, but it has the vertical tweeter over midrange which should help maintain good horizontal dispersion.
    Baffle width affects diffraction - it has minimal effect on dispersion. Sierra-2 (used a horizontal center)has very wide horizontal dispersion but the further you get off-axis, the less symmetrical the response becomes such that at (for example) 45 degs off to the left might sound slightly different compared to 45 degs off to the right. A horizontal MTM has more limited horizontal dispersion, but the response is symmetrical. Of course, the actual room will considerable influence on this...

The Horizon, being a WT/MW design is the best of both worlds with exceptionally wide and symmetrical horizontal dispersion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    ... If the mains are already "only" Luna, what if any advantage would there be to a center Luna versus a standard Luna on its side with rotated tweeter? (I think a rotated tweeter is an option?) Could I buy a single Luna?
    Is rotating the tweeter an option on the standard Luna? (I.e for use as a center speaker on it's side.)

Dave explained that a S2 on it's side has healthy horizontal dispersion but some loss of symmetry in the response. How would a Luna on it's side perform?

Quote Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
    Is rotating the tweeter an option on the standard Luna? (I.e for use as a center speaker on it's side.)
    Yes -- and it is simple just like the S2 (we use the exact same tweeter cutout etc.)

Dave explained that a S2 on it's side has healthy horizontal dispersion but some loss of symmetry in the response. How would a Luna on it's side perform?
    Quite well actually, slightly wider horizontal dispersion compared to the S2 on its side due to the Luna having a smaller woofer and closer tweeter/woofer spacing.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yes -- and it is simple just like the S2 (we use the exact same tweeter cutout etc.)

Quite well actually, slightly wider horizontal dispersion compared to the S2 on its side due to the Luna having a smaller woofer and closer tweeter/woofer spacing.
    Thanks.

How is the symmetry of the response? Is that theoretical or something you actually test? I'd be very interested in the specs (the "safest" zone, what angle any compromise might start to be noticeable, etc.).

So, the main reason to use a "center" Luna versus a center S2 would be the narrower cabinet (less height), right? How might the cost of a center Luna compare to the cost of a center S2?
    Correct - and it will have a more "traditional" look as a center. Pricing will be somewhat higher than a Sierra-2 center as there will be dual woofers, a more complex cabinet and the cabinets are made here in the US.

If the mains are already "only" Luna, what if any advantage would there be to a center Luna versus a standard Luna on its side with rotated tweeter? (I think a rotated tweeter is an option?) Could I buy a single Luna?
    Yes, you can certainly purchase a single Luna - we sell them as pairs or singles. The advantage of the dual woofer version would be higher efficiency, higher power handling and greater dynamic, deeper bass...
    Last edited by davef; 04-10-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks.

How is the symmetry of the response? Is that theoretical or something you actually test? I'd be very interested in the specs (the "safest" zone, what angle any compromise might start to be noticeable, etc.).
    A Luna configured for horizontal placement (with the tweeter rotated appropriately) will have a symmetrical horizontal response (to the left and to the right) up to ~ 20 degrees... I strongly doubt anyone would be sitting outside of this window.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com