Page 82 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7778798081828384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    I don't have spades here but I don't see any problem using spades, unless you use fat connector spades like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbo...speaker+spades
    Those are the exact ones I have lol.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It is hard to define the term overkill... If referring to wattage, since you mention nearfield placement (3 feet distance or closer), I would say you would never use more than 50 watts peak into each Luna. At 50 watts with a distance of 3 feet, you will hit 100dB from each speaker - which is extremely loud.

On the other hand, it is nice to have additional headroom just in case you want to listen at a distance of 10 feet, where the additional power would be extremely worthwhile.
    Thanks for replying. I think I'll start planning for a Luna/Vidar update.

I'm using a 25 watt amp, granted it seems like it has a lot more power than any other 25 watt amp I've ever seen (I'm guessing it's the high current).

It can play the Towers like a boss. It is also very good with the S-2s even though the power is less than recommended and the volume nob does go up a bunch more. I just listened to the lunas for the first time yesterday and I was just watching TV (which could have had a low signal) but I was surprised to find that I almost had the volume maxed. I didn't realize they were less efficient; I need a volume that goes to 11 now. Still plenty of power and I didn't notice an increased noise floor - but I'll test it will actual music soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tme110 View Post
    I'm using a 25 watt amp, granted it seems like it has a lot more power than any other 25 watt amp I've ever seen (I'm guessing it's the high current).

It can play the Towers like a boss. It is also very good with the S-2s even though the power is less than recommended and the volume nob does go up a bunch more. I just listened to the lunas for the first time yesterday and I was just watching TV (which could have had a low signal) but I was surprised to find that I almost had the volume maxed. I didn't realize they were less efficient; I need a volume that goes to 11 now. Still plenty of power and I didn't notice an increased noise floor - but I'll test it will actual music soon.
    Sierra-2 have a sensitivity rating of 86dB, while the sensitivity of the Luna's is 83.5dB. This is nearly a 3dB difference, thus the Luna's require nearly twice the power to reach the same volume level as the S2's. Unless you are nearfield, I do recommend more power than 25 watts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Sierra-2 have a sensitivity rating of 86dB, while the sensitivity of the Luna's is 83.5dB. This is nearly a 3dB difference, thus the Luna's require nearly twice the power to reach the same volume level as the S2's. Unless you are nearfield, I do recommend more power than 25 watts.
    This reminds me, where can I find the specs for the Sierra-1 NrT? I couldn't find them and the forum search won't let me search on just "NrT" so I'm not sure where to look.

Just out of curiosity—I still love my NrTs, just wondering how they spec out. Graphs also welcome. Kind of interested now that I'm switching back and forth between regular Sierra-1s and NrTs and I can certainly hear the difference, want to know what that difference looks like in plots. (The biggest difference, I think, is the little dip the S1s have at ~3kHz that the NrTs don't, but I suspect the spectral decay is noticeably different on the NrT, as they just have that added speed for high transients like cymbals.)

Oh, we now return you to discussing the Lunas...
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    This reminds me, where can I find the specs for the Sierra-1 NrT? I couldn't find them and the forum search won't let me search on just "NrT" so I'm not sure where to look.

Just out of curiosity—I still love my NrTs, just wondering how they spec out. Graphs also welcome. Kind of interested now that I'm switching back and forth between regular Sierra-1s and NrTs and I can certainly hear the difference, want to know what that difference looks like in plots. (The biggest difference, I think, is the little dip the S1s have at ~3kHz that the NrTs don't, but I suspect the spectral decay is noticeably different on the NrT, as they just have that added speed for high transients like cymbals.)

Oh, we now return you to discussing the Lunas...
    Try here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...t+measurements

See links in post #2
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 08-16-2017 at 04:36 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

With Sierra-2's in LCR and Luna's in Surround, should I be pre-out and amping the S2's, the Luna's or both?

Are there ceiling mount options for the Luna's? Would like to use them as Atmos overhead speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Awesome, thanks!

These are a great start—super interesting. Still, though, as noted on that page these links don't give actual specs, and the plots don't include spectral decay. I'd love to see all that if it's available somewhere.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Awesome, thanks!

These are a great start—super interesting. Still, though, as noted on that page these links don't give actual specs, and the plots don't include spectral decay. I'd love to see all that if it's available somewhere.
    Specs between the Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT are very much identical (though the NrT tweeters have a bit more HF extension). I don't have a CSD measurement readily available, when our new site is ready and my time frees up, I'll take one and post it.
    Last edited by davef; 08-16-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Specs between the Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT are very much identical (though the NrT tweeters have a bit more HF extension).
    Not a surprise there (on the extension).

This is a great example of how there's so much more that matters than just the specs, because the two speakers do not sound the same to me—similar, yes; same, no—even if they spec pretty much the same.

I don't have a CSD measurement readily available, when are new site is ready and my time frees up, I'll take one and post it.
    No rush. You have many, many better things to do than satisfy my idle curiosity. (OTOH, it is sort of unlike you to have a speaker for sale that doesn't have all the associated graphs. And I love the graphs. I'm now always suspicious when I go to look at the web site for other folks and there aren't a ton of graphs. Makes me wonder what they're hiding, you know?)