Page 75 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7071727374757677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLesniak View Post
    Hi, first time posting here but long time Ascend owner . I received my pair of natural Sierra Lunas a few weeks ago and figured I'd share how happy I am with them. I've had a pair of Sierra-1s since 2011 that have been my absolute favorite speakers and I've since moved them to my home theater setup with a Sierra center for a 3.1 setup with a pair of Martin Logan Dynamo subs and Marantz SR5011 receiver. They replaced a CMT-340SE/HTM-200SE 5.0 setup that now resides in a friend's new basement home theater .

I needed a new pair of speakers to use on my desktop and these are absolutely perfect! My original intention was to upgrade the Sierra-1s to 2s and use these as surrounds, but I don't think they are going to leave the desktop. I was driving them with an NAD D3020 (awesome little amp) but finally received a Peachtree Nova150 I ordered about 2 months ago which took them to a different level. They definitely seem to like the extra power and the slight lack of energy I was hearing with the D3020 has filled in nicely. The soundstage and imaging is just unreal, unlike anything I've heard before especially at a desktop.

I've never heard speakers with ribbon tweeters in a home setup before and I'm blown away by the clarity of these. My ears were very well-accustomed to the Sierra-1s and while I have no complaints what-so-ever about their sound, for this setup the Lunas are just beyond perfect. The corner placement is not ideal, and with the Sierra-1s bass could easily become overwhelming even with the B Q-plugs inserted but these Lunas are just perfect for this placement. I grabbed the tempered glass shelf today from Home Depot and it couldn't fit better; I do find the speakers pretty touchy as far as vertical dispersion goes so having them directed right at my ears means I need to either angle them way up or raise them to ear level (the glass looks pretty cool too I think).

Thanks so much to Dave and Dina and the Ascend crew for another absolutely magnificent design!

Jeff

Here are some pics, had a hard time uploading them
    http://imgur.com/a/XyUN5
    Thanks for posting Jeff and we are thrilled you are enjoying the Lunas! Setup looks terrific
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

When will you be debuting the new ebsite?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpinchair View Post
    When will you be debuting the new ebsite?
    We are slowly but surely getting there... We hope to have the new site (and associated forum) up and running mid-summer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am using a pair of sierra 2 for left and right. Salk sound's WOW1 as Centre. Marantz 6010 is powering the speakers. All calibrated with XT32. So I am finding that the WOW1 is distorting near reference. I am seated about 6-7 feet from the speakers. Would the Luna be an upgrade from the WOW1 or I'm better off with another Sierra 2.

Quote Originally Posted by palm101 View Post
    I am using a pair of sierra 2 for left and right. Salk sound's WOW1 as Centre. Marantz 6010 is powering the speakers. All calibrated with XT32. So I am finding that the WOW1 is distorting near reference. I am seated about 6-7 feet from the speakers. Would the Luna be an upgrade from the WOW1 or I'm better off with another Sierra 2.
    With all due respect to Dave and Ascend Acoustics, you paid some good money for the WOW1, talk to Jim Salk, the manufacturer of your WOW1, maybe there is something wrong with your speaker.

Dave and Jim are among the handful of high quality, well respected, American made speakers. Maybe you already did, just trying help you out.

Now if you just want to upgrade, that is a different story! Have Fun!

Well. I doubt there is anything wrong with it other than maybe not loud enough. It's always nice to upgrade. Maybe to the sierra horizon even.

Quote Originally Posted by palm101 View Post
    Are you using a subwoofer (or two)? If so, what is your crossover frequency set to?

If not, then it's no surprise the WOW1 is distorting at "near reference" levels, especially if the content has much deep bass in it. That Seas W12 is a nice driver but simply too small to play the lowest octave or two at high levels - it's simple physics.

The Luna would likely have similar issues.

A Sierra 2 would do better, but even it really can't (shouldn't?) but played at high levels with full-range settings and content with a lot of deep bass.

Hi Beave

Thank you for your post. I forgot to mention. Yes, I have a sub. Rythmik E15HP cross at 80 Hz. I can see the woofer hitting xmax during parts of a scene. Hence my suspicion that it's simply too loud the little driver.

Yeah, even with a subwoofer and 80Hz crossover, that little driver is going to have a lot of excursion at high playback levels. That speaker, as good as it is, simply isn't designed for really loud playback levels.

The Sierra 2 should do better.

The Sierra horizon should do a lot better.

For the sake of experimentation, you could change the crossover setting to the center to higher and higher frequencies and see at what point the excursion decreases to the point that the distortion goes away. Probably setting it to 120Hz or 150Hz will be sufficient to keep that woofer in a happy place at loud levels.

Great idea! I'll give that a try.