Page 73 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6869707172737475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Looks great but I don't recommend using Sorbothane. It has a tendency to leave an oily reside that ruins wood finishes.
    What are your thoughts on BLU-TACK?

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    Like Dave said, don't use Sorbothane. I speak from unfortunate personal experience - when I removed it, it took the black satin finish off the bottoms of my Sierra 2's. VERY upsetting... only "positive" thing is I plan on keeping them forever so I'll never have to worry about how that would impact a sale price.

I use these under my speakers. Not very attractive but they work fine and you can't beat the price:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTe...ad-2-x-2-x-7-8
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at those later today. In the meantime I wrapped the Sorbothane in kitchen plastic wrap to protect the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by rallymewrx View Post
    I have my Gloss Espresso Sierras on blu-tack. I haven't noticed any problems
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by hobe View Post
    I was proud of the mounting solution I came up with until I checked this thread again

I went with the Pangea stands and L-bracket mount to secure them from small, curious hands. I added some Sorbothane pucks between the speaker and the stand and so far everything seems to be working great.

Can you try moving the surrounds a foot or more away from the couch? Anyone sitting near the edge will get blasted with just one speaker. Sitting in the middle would be great though.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    Like Dave said, don't use Sorbothane. I speak from unfortunate personal experience - when I removed it, it took the black satin finish off the bottoms of my Sierra 2's. VERY upsetting... only "positive" thing is I plan on keeping them forever so I'll never have to worry about how that would impact a sale price.

I use these under my speakers. Not very attractive but they work fine and you can't beat the price:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTe...ad-2-x-2-x-7-8
    In my experience, Sorbothane pads have been hit or miss. I have seen some that do not have an oily residue and don't outgas, leaving wood finishes unharmed -- while I have also seen Sorbothane pads that are very oily and have done some serious damage to speaker cabinets.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by rallymewrx View Post
    I haven't used blu-tack all that often, but have never had an issue with museum wax or "quake hold" - which I believe is basically the same thing as blu-tack, just costs less. That said, I know we have customers using blu-tack and I can't recall anyone reporting any problems.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have used Quake Hold and it is excellent. It adheres well, easy to remove and also leaves no trace when removed. The only caveat is to make sure and follow the directions - do NOT use more than the small amount they tell you to use. Otherwise, watch the I Love Lucy episode about "Bulldog Cement Remover" to see what problem you may encounter, which I did from first hand experience. After that I followed the directions, never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Looks great but I don't recommend using Sorbothane. It has a tendency to leave an oily reside that ruins wood finishes.
    I just learned this the ward way, it's amazing how much damage it causes.

Many years ago, I also learned the hard way about Sorbothane.

I mostly bought the Luna's for 5 channel movie sound but was listening to some 80's and 90's playlists on Tidal last night and I was so impressed with what I was hearing with 5 channels of music. I had my Denon x4200W set to "neural X" so I'm not sure how that's different from 5 channel stereo. But it did seem to take only certain bits of audio to the rear channels, like backup vocals and other effects only.

Anyway, a track where the clarity of RAALS all around was apparent to me was Santa Monica by Everclear, a song that was popular when I was watching MTV and music videos as much as possible. Starts off very simple with guitar & vocals but builds throughout, and again the guitars sound perfect through my 5 channels of Ascend speakers. I also wound up going through some Michael Jackson, which always sounds incredible on this system, and some Cars, songs my Dad would play growing up.

Before last night, it had been a couple of weeks since I sat down for a long music session but I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it due to these Ascend speakers. Those RAAL tweeters are the secret sauce. Not sure if I just did a better job with Audessy calibration this time (after adding the surrounds) but my system sounds better than ever now.
    Last edited by chomdh; 04-28-2017 at 04:45 AM.