Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6465666768697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Only just discovered all the Luna discussions yesterday. When will those of us just finding out about them now be able to buy them, and how much will they cost?
    Our first production run is nearly sold out so I am not quite sure what finishes are still available. I strongly recommend giving us a call today if possible.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Thanks, Nate!

This thread needs more pics!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Our first production run is nearly sold out so I am not quite sure what finishes are still available. I strongly recommend giving us a call today if possible.
    Stuck in a meeting. I'm not really looking to get a pair right now anyway. Moving to a new office this summer and that's where these would go, so I'll just wait for the next run.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Hey Dave,

I saw you compare Sierra 2's with the Luna in the measurements thread and thought this would be the more appropriate place to ask. If someone (like me) has a good subwoofer setup with 2 or more subs, would we notice a difference between the 2? Looking at the Luna measurements, a 2nd order high pass at 100Hz would be a good match with a sub, at this crossover would the Lunas be stressing much at an 85 db level(the loudest I would ever listen to)?

It just seems to me that if we cut off enough of the bass from the Lunas they should theoretically do everything else better than the larger woofer when paired with the RAAL. I do tend to overthink things though so I wanted to ask your opinion, thanks.

@aarons, I know you asked Dave but I'll chime in anyhow.

I think it depends a lot on your room and placement. I bet unless they have to be flush mounted then the luna wouldn't be audibly better than the 2s.

Also - and this is what prompted me to chime in - crossing over at 100 might produce a different result than you expect. I have towers and horizon up front 15ft away, and to either side of my couch are 200se surrounds wall mounted 6ft high and salk rythmik subs on the ground. I had everything crossed at 80 and started playing with xover. 70 sounded better for the fronts. 100 seemed logical for the surrounds but when I tried it, especially for "all channel" music setting, it was quite displeasing. Rather than the subs "disappearing" like before, they really called attention. And on rew they are flat from 14 to 100... I ended up crossed at 80 on the rears.

By the way I'm thrilled with my system. Someday I'd love to pick up Lunas, not as surrounds first but as flush mounted mains in another room.

Tai

Quote Originally Posted by taigovinda View Post
    @aarons, I know you asked Dave but I'll chime in anyhow.

I think it depends a lot on your room and placement. I bet unless they have to be flush mounted then the luna wouldn't be audibly better than the 2s.

Also - and this is what prompted me to chime in - crossing over at 100 might produce a different result than you expect. I have towers and horizon up front 15ft away, and to either side of my couch are 200se surrounds wall mounted 6ft high and salk rythmik subs on the ground. I had everything crossed at 80 and started playing with xover. 70 sounded better for the fronts. 100 seemed logical for the surrounds but when I tried it, especially for "all channel" music setting, it was quite displeasing. Rather than the subs "disappearing" like before, they really called attention. And on rew they are flat from 14 to 100... I ended up crossed at 80 on the rears.

By the way I'm thrilled with my system. Someday I'd love to pick up Lunas, not as surrounds first but as flush mounted mains in another room.

Tai
    Yeah I hear you, room acoustics are very complicated, I would never dream of trying to blend a subwoofer with other speakers without REW. What I suspect is happening with your towers and horizon is that the 2nd order high pass isn't cutting off enough of the bass since the towers and Horizon center aren't rolling off as soon, to properly blend with a 4th order low pass they need to have an acoustic high pass filter of whatever the crossover frequency is as well. In the case of the Lunas if you look at 100Hz compared to 200Hz you see they are about 3 db down at 100 with close to a 2nd order roll off so they should blend pretty well with a 100Hz 2nd order high pass filter. Your towers would be much better off with a 4th order high pass since they aren't rolling off much at 80Hz, most receivers don't allow that but Emotiva does which is what I use with very good results.

Aarons,

Which setting(s) would I change? I am using XMC-1 and 'low pass filter' is set at 24db/octave. I'm pretty happy with 70hz crossover on the front 3 (sounded better than 80) and 80hz on the surrounds (sounded much better than 100) - was only trying 100hz on the surrounds as an experiment which at least the way I did it, on all channel music, failed. I feel like I can also localize the subs somewhat on 80hz crossover with the fronts, but not with 70hz.

Tai

Quote Originally Posted by taigovinda View Post
    Aarons,

Which setting(s) would I change? I am using XMC-1 and 'low pass filter' is set at 24db/octave. I'm pretty happy with 70hz crossover on the front 3 (sounded better than 80) and 80hz on the surrounds (sounded much better than 100) - was only trying 100hz on the surrounds as an experiment which at least the way I did it, on all channel music, failed. I feel like I can also localize the subs somewhat on 80hz crossover with the fronts, but not with 70hz.

Tai
    I have a UMC 200 so it might not be the same but it should be close. In your speaker settings you should be able to set your fronts, center and surround as 12 or 24 db slopes, I would try 80Hz 24db slopes and measure and see how it looks. You also have parametric EQ so when measuring your full range frequency response you probably have a few peaks you can smooth out in your mains and your sub that will help with blending your mains with the subwoofer.

Cool, thanks. Yes what you described 80/24 all around is the way I had it for the first few weeks. Now I've decided 70 up front and 80 on the surrounds sounds better; Dirac handled the parametric EQ for me. Maybe there is a way to blend at 100 on surrounds but I guess it's not worth it for me to try to figure that out. I'm sure Dave will have a more meaningful and authoritative answer to your question!

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    Thanks, Nate!

This thread needs more pics!
    20170406_155523.jpg
    My Lunas are matte espresso instead of gloss but it still matches really well imo
    Nate