Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7879808182838485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    No rush. You have many, many better things to do than satisfy my idle curiosity. (OTOH, it is sort of unlike you to have a speaker for sale that doesn't have all the associated graphs.
    I'm sure Dave has tons of measurements, just not in the correct format for putting on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Not a surprise there (on the extension).

This is a great example of how there's so much more that matters than just the specs, because the two speakers do not sound the same to me—similar, yes; same, no—even if they spec pretty much the same.
    The technical differences in the NrT dome compared to the stock Sierra-1 tweeter are considerable. the NrT dome has lower moving mass and is a fully underhung design and combining that with a very powerful neodymium ring magnet, enables extremely fast transients for a dome tweeter. In addition, the neo ring magnet dramatically reduces back-wave reflections because there is basically no reflective surface directly behind the dome, only a large chamber and damping material. A typical magnet used in a tweeter is a slug, and this causes reflections as the sound produced by the dome bounces off this surface and back out through the dome itself and not in proper phase.

The neo ring magnet used in the NrT looks much like a doughnut, and there are many advantages to this shape - including a more focused magnetic field resulting in higher flux density in the gap (where it is needed) and less flux leakage.

The NrT dome is both cleaner sounding with faster transients and the crossover takes full advantage of this with a shallower high pass slope.

No rush. You have many, many better things to do than satisfy my idle curiosity. (OTOH, it is sort of unlike you to have a speaker for sale that doesn't have all the associated graphs. And I love the graphs. I'm now always suspicious when I go to look at the web site for other folks and there aren't a ton of graphs. Makes me wonder what they're hiding, you know?)
    I agree, but as good as the Sierra-1 NrT is, with the release of the Sierra-2 - in some ways it made the Sierra-1 NrT obsolete. That was not our intention of course, but the S2 is a better overall speaker.
    Last edited by davef; 08-16-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I'm sure Dave has tons of measurements, just not in the correct format for putting on the website.
    Definitely yes, I use about 50 different measurements when designing a loudspeaker, most of which really don't translate well to publishing as they just wouldn't be understood. Some of these measurements can take 30-40 minutes to generate.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The technical differences in the NrT dome compared to the stock Sierra-1 tweeter are considerable.
    Exactly my point! For example if you were to reproduce this page:

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...srm1specs.html

for the NrT version, there would be very little difference. But behind those similar specs, there's actually a substantial difference between the base S1 and the S1 NrT. Specs just don't tell the full story.

I have come to believe that graphs, particularly off-axis FR and CSD, though still incomplete, give a much better sense of how a speaker really performs.

as good as the Sierra-1 NrT is, with the release of the Sierra-2 - in some ways it made the Sierra-1 NrT obsolete. That was not our intention of course, but the S2 is a better overall speaker.
    Yes, I would imagine you don't sell a lot of NrTs anymore, even though they are exactly halfway between the S1 and S2 price points. Personally I think the NrT is brilliant as it exactly addresses what I feel is the one minor weakness of the S1, but with the S2 in the mix that's not as compelling.

I'm dying to get the S2s, so I'll eventually get around to upgrading my NrTs to S2s, and then I'll take my NrT bits and upgrade my office base S1s to NrTs. And then... I'll have an extra S1 tweeter and crossover set. Not sure what I'll do with those.

Anyway, seriously, I'll stop threadjacking now. Lunas, this is supposed to be about Lunas...
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

In a future upgrade I want to use two pairs of Lunas as Atmos speakers. The only way I can do Atmos is with add-on speakers. So Dave, would doing something like this work as Atmos add-on speaker?

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

BTW, I can increase the angle if necessary.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    In a future upgrade I want to use two pairs of Lunas as Atmos speakers. The only way I can do Atmos is with add-on speakers. So Dave, would doing something like this work as Atmos add-on speaker?

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

BTW, I can increase the angle if necessary.
    I was watching the Dolby Atmos demo BD and the Atmos engineer at Pioneer or KEF was talking about guidelines for Directionality and Diffusion. As long as the Luna is within those guidelines for up firing speakers, I see no reason why you couldn't.

Maybe I missed this ...
    Are there measurements for the Luna yet?
    Will it handle an 80hz crossover?

Nevermind - found them in a different thread!

Enrico -
    What about front / rear height speakers for Atmos?
    R

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Enrico -
    What about front / rear height speakers for Atmos?
    R
    I wonder if upfiring is better than height due to a better angle of reflection vs. direct sound path from height speaker. Obviously, best is overhead with enough height.