Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELX Horizon Questions

Default ELX Horizon Questions

Hi -

I just received and hooked up my new ELX Horizon and I have a couple of questions. First, there are foam "inserts" or small plugs in both the front ports. Are these there for shipping or need to be in place as part of the speaker?

Secondly, when I run Audyssey I get a phase error for the Horizon. I just ignored the error, but I just wanted to confirm. It sounds great, so not sure what is going on.

Many thanks

Mark

Default Re: ELX Horizon Questions

I don't recall my Horizon ports being plugged but it's been awhile. They should be removed when using the speaker.

I've seen the phase error from Audyssey posted previously and, as I recall, just ignore it.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by themarkkram View Post
    Hi -

I just received and hooked up my new ELX Horizon and I have a couple of questions. First, there are foam "inserts" or small plugs in both the front ports. Are these there for shipping or need to be in place as part of the speaker?

Secondly, when I run Audyssey I get a phase error for the Horizon. I just ignored the error, but I just wanted to confirm. It sounds great, so not sure what is going on.

Many thanks

Mark
    The 2nd version of the Lunas and Duos have foam inserts. Maybe it's intentional?
    Nate

As I recall the foam inserts for the Luna/Duo are internal, not in the port.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    As I recall the foam inserts for the Luna/Duo are internal, not in the port.
    It's true that there is additional padding inside of the speaker but each port has two foam inserts that are visible.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by themarkkram View Post
    Hi -

Many thanks

Mark
    Pleased to hear that the ELX Horizon arrived safe and sound. We have been shipping a ton of them these past few weeks.

Please leave the dampeners as is. The ELX Horizons now come with these installed, they are there to dampen spurious slot port resonances and fully optimize bass tuning.

Yes, please hit ignore. Audyssey doesn't seem to like the full range bass response and advanced crossover of the ELX, it is a common error with Audyssey (not just with our speakers, but with many full range speakers). When and if my time clears up a bit, I will look into this more as to how Audyssey actually measures the in-room phase response.

https://ask.audyssey.com/hc/en-us/ar...eaker-polarity

What speakers are you using as your left / right?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    It's true that there is additional padding inside of the speaker but each port has two foam inserts that are visible.
    100% correct. Slot ports are problematic with regard to port resonance. We have developed a unique solution to this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    Do those of us with ELX Horizon without these dampers need to add them?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Dave,
    Do those of us with ELX Horizon without these dampers need to add them?
    No, you have the domestic cabinets - slightly different than the newer cabinets.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thanks, Dave.
    Best regards,
    Robert