Thread: Sierra-2 and Miller & Kreisel VX-7B

Default Sierra-2 and Miller & Kreisel VX-7B

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the community because I obtained a used pair of Sierra-2s as my first set of serious speakers.

I also picked up a used MK VX-7B sub (could hardly find any information about the 7B but heaps on the VX-7) and a WiiM Amp to connect them together (RCA for the speakers, subwoofer cable from the amp's sub out to the VX-7B's Left/Mono).

The VX-7B has the Low Pass Filter, and the WiiM Amp has the crossover settings.

I've researched and the range is usually 60-80Hz. I currently have both LPF and crossover set to 60Hz. I did experiment going up to 80Hz but the bass sounded overpowering and boomy so I eased it back down to 60.

I understand LPF is one filter that only sends the low frequency to the sub, and the crossover in the amp is actually two filters, one that sends low frequency to the sub, another that sends the rest to the speakers.

LPF and crossover seems to achieve the same thing differently? Should LFP and crossover be the same frequencies? Or should I set them differently?

I also read that if the amp has crossover, then rule of thumb is to max the LFP dial on the sub... I suppose in theory if the amp's crossover is handling it, the LFP on the sub shouldn't be doing anything?

Tangentially... the sub has a Bass Level dial, but the amp can also set the dB. And the sub's dial does change the level, as will the amp's dB settings.... I'm pretty confused. (Currently I have the sub's dial set to 12 o'clock.)
    Last edited by vurt; 01-31-2024 at 03:37 PM.

Default Re: Sierra-2 and Miller & Kreisel VX-7B

Disable the LPF on the sub, and just use the crossover settings on the Wiim Amp. Setting the sub volume at 12 o clock and use the output setting on the amp is a good start.

I'd be interesting on what you think of the Wiim amp. I have one, but have not connected it yet. I have seen some not so positive reviews on the amp section. I plan to use mine is a small bedroom setup, guess I should test it myself.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-31-2024 at 03:51 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Disable the LPF on the sub
    Thank you! Would setting it to the max "disable" it? I don't see an on/off way to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I'd be interesting on what you think of the Wiim amp.
    I'm so new to everything I can't speak to my impressions at all! I tried a Fosi V3 earlier and got frustrated with its 'pre-out'.

There's quite a few folks using the WiiM Amp on ASR but hasn't been tested by Amir.
    Last edited by vurt; 01-31-2024 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vurt View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the community because I obtained a used pair of Sierra-2s as my first set of serious speakers.

I also picked up a used MK VX-7B sub (could hardly find any information about the 7B but heaps on the VX-7) and a WiiM Amp to connect them together (RCA for the speakers, subwoofer cable from the amp's sub out to the VX-7B's Left/Mono).

The VX-7B has the Low Pass Filter, and the WiiM Amp has the crossover settings.

I've researched and the range is usually 60-80Hz. I currently have both LPF and crossover set to 60Hz. I did experiment going up to 80Hz but the bass sounded overpowering and boomy so I eased it back down to 60.

I understand LPF is one filter that only sends the low frequency to the sub, and the crossover in the amp is actually two filters, one that sends low frequency to the sub, another that sends the rest to the speakers.

LPF and crossover seems to achieve the same thing differently? Should LFP and crossover be the same frequencies? Or should I set them differently?

I also read that if the amp has crossover, then rule of thumb is to max the LFP dial on the sub... I suppose in theory if the amp's crossover is handling it, the LFP on the sub shouldn't be doing anything?

Tangentially... the sub has a Bass Level dial, but the amp can also set the dB. And the sub's dial does change the level, as will the amp's dB settings.... I'm pretty confused. (Currently I have the sub's dial set to 12 o'clock.)
    Ok - a few things.

The low pass filter adjustment on the sub sets the approximate frequency where the subwoofer starts reducing its output at higher frequencies. It has no affect on speakers.

If you are setting an active crossover on the Wiim, you should be setting the LPF dial on the subwoofer to max, which if I recall was 120Hz.

FYI, I worked on the design of that little sub
    Last edited by davef; 01-31-2024 at 06:20 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    which if I recall was 120Hz.

FYI, I worked on the design of that little sub
    Yes! It's 120Hz. Wow, I'm always surprised by random internet encounters like this.