Page 1 of 112 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Thumbs up Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

*** Now available for ordering. Please use this link: Sierra Luna

The Sierra-2 and Sierra Tower continue to be huge successes for us. We have been receiving many requests for smaller matching true ribbon tweeter based speakers to be used as surrounds, both with the Sierra-2 and our Sierra Ribbon Towers.

It should come as no surprise that we have been working on this for a while now. After much modeling and discussion with the engineers at SEAS, we have concluded that not only is this doable, but when paired with a quality subwoofer, the Sierra Sat will make for a wonderful set of smaller main speakers, while also being a lesser expensive entry into the world of RAAL ribbons.

Much like with the custom SEAS woofer we use in the Sierra-2, our nearly 2 decades worth of experience working closely with the world-class engineers at SEAS, has afforded us the privilege of having them “jump right into this” for us, no questions asked.

And, just like with our Sierra-2 – not a single off-the-shelf or OEM component will be used. The Sierra Sat will feature the jointly developed custom Sierra-2 RAAL ribbon tweeter, a fully custom SEAS Curv 4.5” woofer, advanced crossover – all combined into our class leading US-Built layered bamboo cabinets. It is our firm intention to, once again, raise the performance bar for what was previously possible in a small speaker.

This speaker won’t outperform the Sierra-2, it is meant more to enhance our current line of true ribbon speakers. It will prove an ideal solution for those who want “ribbons all the way around” and for others who seek the highest performance possible in a true sub / sat system.

Let’s use this thread for discussion, just like we have in similar new product threads. Obviously, we can not divulge full details just yet but I am personally very excited about this new speaker. It brings back fond memories of the much suggested Sierra .5 which never took shape – but, let’s not forget, that we designed the Sierra-2 tweeter with the same faceplate and cutout dimensions as the dome tweeter in the Sierra-1

Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by davef; 09-10-2022 at 12:49 AM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Sweet!!

ported or sealed?
    -curtis

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

My suggestions/wish list :

- Make it sealed
    - Make it less than 12" tall
    - Bottom extension down to the 60-70Hz range

I admit I am being selfish, because in my case I would be interested in them as main with a sub. In other words, a HTM-200 on steroids

If you are targeting the SVS Prime Sat size-wise, the Sierra-2 RAAL faceplate will dictate a taller cabinet than the Prime due to that model's dome tweeter's faceplate having the top and bottom squared off, allowing close spacing to the woofer and top of cabinet. I'd imagine the baby Sierra will require about 1" - 1 1/2" taller. The width could be similar which was the big deciding factor for me when I got the SVS Sats for my HT setup.

Can't wait to see this evolve!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 11-12-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I was just wondering.....which is dangerous......will this be similar to the Sierra-2 where you would simply rotate the tweeter for use as a center?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Very nice!

Could you make them no more than 6 inches deep and sealed to minimize SBIR? This is one of the reasons I went with the HTMs for surrounds and CMTs to timbre match.

I would love to be able to upgrade to the Sierra 2s with a sealed compact version for surrounds.

Similar in size to the HTM-200SE would be great.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Sweet!!

ported or sealed?
    Since our plan is to be able to use these with an 80Hz crossover, the cabinets will be ported. However, I do also plan on investigating a sealed version. Much depends on what SEAS is able to accomplish for us. Presently, not a single SEAS 4.5" Curv woofer exists, and while we are able to come fairly close to predicting the response by modeling, I really won't know for sure until the prototypes are here (which should be quite soon).
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    My suggestions/wish list :

- Make it sealed
    - Make it less than 12" tall
    - Bottom extension down to the 60-70Hz range

I admit I am being selfish, because in my case I would be interested in them as main with a sub. In other words, a HTM-200 on steroids
    Reaching that type of extension in a sealed enclosure with a single 4.5", while also being able to have decent efficiency and power handling would, unfortunately, be nearly impossible. That said, I will be investigating various possibilities with this new woofer, and potential variations of the woofer. Much depends on the what options SEAS is able to come up with for cone mass, motor strength, and coil length.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    If you are targeting the SVS Prime Sat size-wise, the Sierra-2 RAAL faceplate will dictate a taller cabinet than the Prime due to that model's dome tweeter's faceplate having the top and bottom squared off, allowing close spacing to the woofer and top of cabinet. I'd imagine the baby Sierra will require about 1" - 1 1/2" taller. The width could be similar which was the big deciding factor for me when I got the SVS Sats for my HT setup.

Can't wait to see this evolve!
    Definitely not targeting any currently existing product. This is not a knock on the SVS Sat's - but in my estimation, just a single Sierra-2 tweeter costs more than all of the components in a pair of the Sat's combined (excluding the cabinets). The Sierra Sat's will obviously cost considerably more. Frankly, our 200's (with dual cast frame 4" woofers + custom SEAS dual chambered neo soft dome tweeter) already do more than simply compete with the Prime Sat's

In addition, it is relatively simply for us to tool a different faceplate for the Sierra-2 tweeter to allow for a shorter overall cabinet height. Once we are able to finalize the requirements for cabinet volume, i'll throw out a few cabinet dimension options and feedback from our forum members will decide it. It should be fun
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com