Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
Hypothetical (for future receiver upgrades), and for others who might have 2 crossover settings and come upon this thread.

I think I understand your reply, set crossover 1 and 2 at 80 Hz and then play with them individually. Should I play with surrounds first or fronts & center first?
If you want to find the best crossover for the speakers in your room, you could use sweeps, using the following link:

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequ...generator.html

With sweeps you should choose a sine wave and a reasonble volume level so that you don't damage things.

Maybe create a sweep from 20 Hz to 150 or 200 Hz for 10 to 15 seconds. If you have an SPL meter then it could make things even easier, though you might be able to do this by ear. Disconnect all other speakers at the binding posts except for the one in question and the subwoofer. Now play the sweep and you would like it to be as smooth as possible in level, mostly near the crossover region. You can go in to the settings in the receiver and try raising or lowering the crossover slightly to see if you get better results. When you are happy with the crossover for that speaker, turn off the receiver and disconnect it at the binding posts and connect another speaker to check.

Auto Eq's like Audyssey should be able to calculate these things for you, so that you don't have to go through all of this trouble, but Audyssey left it to the receiver manufacturer to decide what to do with their measurements. Usually it is more manly for a speaker to be designated as large, so often speakers that have no business being set as large are set that way by the choices of the design team for the receiver.

If you have already run the Auto EQ you will see how smooth you bass is from your subwoofer. Maybe this would be a time to also try different placement options for the subwoofer if the bass isn't as smooth as you would like.