Page 95 of 112 FirstFirst ... 90919293949596979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC39 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Some NRT Luna's as surrounds just to bring down the cost. I won't be able to appreciate the ribbons on the two rear speakers.
    Best option would be using our stock Sierra-1 dome. Even with this option, cost savings wouldn't be that much, all of the components used in the Luna are very expensive, including the woofer and the cabinet itself.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Ah ok, I just knew the RAAL ribbons were an added cost upgrade to the towers so I was thinking a dome tweeter Luna would bring the price down. No big deal. Thanks Dave!
    Last edited by KevinC39; 01-08-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Best option would be using our stock Sierra-1 dome. Even with this option, cost savings wouldn't be that much, all of the components used in the Luna are very expensive, including the woofer and the cabinet itself.

Dave,

What kind of estimated cost reduction would happen with the stock Sierra-1 dome? It could makes sense if someone is outfitting a home theater system.

David

Thanks for your honest answer Dave, it is always appreciated. I think as Ascend customers we've gotten used to the "customize it as you want" when maybe that isn't what should be done. I am curious as well on the savings with the Sierra 1 dome, but as you said, it probably isn't likely to be a huge change.

For me personally, for $80 I could "fix" the current issue in my setup, which is an inadequate center when matched to the cheapest bookshelfs that Polk Audio makes.

It's just a question whether I want to spend the money to make my "house" setup as opposed to my theater setup a world class music listening station or not. At least I have some time to contemplate that issue as the Luna LCR appears a little ways out yet....

Just ordered a Luna center, but after reading this I'm pretty excited about checking out the Luna LCR when it's done and available. It's appealing because the dimensions allow it to fit in most AV cabinet shelves, like the one I have which is around 17.25"x6.25". Larger centers require their own stand/shelf or for the TV to be wall mounted up and above. The Lunas add so much more flexibility as centers.

Definitely may be trading up in the future.

Dave would have to redesign an entirely new crossover for a different Luna tweeter. Not an insignificant cost unless he decides to sell the version at higher volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascend0577 View Post
    Dave,

What kind of estimated cost reduction would happen with the stock Sierra-1 dome? It could makes sense if someone is outfitting a home theater system.

David
    After checking, we can do this now with the standard Sierra-1 tweeter. I was concerned about the necessary crossover mods as there is absolutely zero free space in the Luna cabinet but I am confident we can make it work.

If we swap the ribbon tweeter for the Sierra-1 tweeter, we can offer a pair of Luna's for $988/pair. That isn't too much of a price difference as the woofer and cabinet are very expensive, but it does bring the cost down to under $1K for a pair...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jed-99aggie View Post
    Thanks Dave for the quick response.

I'm doing something perhaps less conventional in my set up, when two subs are connected.

The first sub is connected to the sub/LFE pre-out of the receiver. Listening to any audio in surround mode works fine.

The dilemma with the first setup is when I switch to 2-channel audio, with menu settings of front = small speakers/crossover = 80Hz. The LFE connected sub receives nominal/no signal.

Therefore the other sub, is fed through the front L/R pre-outs and I have set the front speakers to large.

My primary question is, what is the result to listening experience and downside for the Luna speakers when fed a full-range signal (not high passed at 80hz)? Are the Luna drivers at risk of over excursion and associated distortion?

Aside from replacing the receiver/processor with something newer, providing more configuration options and better bass management settings, are there other alternative configurations you'd suggest?

Audio gear includes: Sony receiver STR-DA3300ES, Emotiva amp XPA5-Gen3
    I am not familiar enough with your Sony receiver but something doesn't sound right that the receiver will no longer output LFF if set to 2-channel mode. Typically, there is a setting for the sub were you can set the output to LFE + Main, where the sub is fed both the LFE and all bass below wherever you have the high pass filter set to. You should check this.

You can also simply run both subs off the L/R pre-outs.

That said, the Luna woofer's can absolutely handle full range signals
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you, Dave.

I have had the 3 Lunas setup (R/C/L) for approaching 2 weeks and am very pleased with them and their size is perfect for my listening room. Their performance has been remarkable with full range audio input (and complimented with a sub).

Their imaging is incredible. Numerous times while listening in stereo-only, I have to physically go to the center speaker to confirm that no audio is being reproduced (e.g. lead vocal). These speakers' capabilities, combined with your active engagement on forums and open collaboration in product development, have earned you a very satisfied customer.

Regarding my previously mentioned bass management challenge, I hope to be able to remedy that in the near future with a new processor.

One additional follow up: In my listening room, the Lunas are positioned on a mantel 61" off the ground and above the ear-height when seated. No tilt on the speakers at this time, they are sitting level. I have been trying out both orientations ("standard" = tweeter on top; "upside down" = tweeter on bottom). With tweeter on bottom it also aligns it in nearly the same horizontal plane as the center tweeter. Do you have a recommendation regarding the R/L Lunas tweeter/woofer positioning?

After checking, we can do this now with the standard Sierra-1 tweeter. I was concerned about the necessary crossover mods as there is absolutely zero free space in the Luna cabinet but I am confident we can make it work.

If we swap the ribbon tweeter for the Sierra-1 tweeter, we can offer a pair of Luna's for $988/pair. That isn't too much of a price difference as the woofer and cabinet are very expensive, but it does bring the cost down to under $1K for a pair...
    Dave,

Thank you for the estimate. I am bit away from my home theater, but I do a lot of planning in advance and was looking forward to an upgrade from my CBM-170 SE with a similar bass tuning to it or the Sierra-2/Sierra Luna, but somewhere in-between, price-wise.

David