Page 94 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8990919293949596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Don't mean to be a pest, but it's been over a month and I'm jonesing for an update on the Luna Center. Any closer to being able to purchase one of those bad boys?

There IS a Luna Center option in the main products pages now, but it must be just a single, standard Luna (MAYBE with rotated tweeter? - it does not say).

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    There IS a Luna Center option in the main products pages now, but it must be just a single, standard Luna (MAYBE with rotated tweeter? - it does not say).
    Single Luna with rotated tweeter for horizontal placement. The dual woofer Luna will be called the Luna LCR, not Luna "center".
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by hornfan785 View Post
    Don't mean to be a pest, but it's been over a month and I'm jonesing for an update on the Luna Center. Any closer to being able to purchase one of those bad boys?
    Regarding the forthcoming Luna LCR:

Unfortunately, due to ongoing bamboo shortages - cabinet production likely won't start until January. From there it will be an estimated 2-3 months before we will be able ship these to customers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Happy New Year and best wishes to all on a healthy 2019.

Apologies for this Luna newbie question.

I have read a number of times in this thread that people have auditioned the Luna full range.

I also read that they pair well with a sub crossed over at 80hz. What is not clear to me is specifically in a sub-paired scenario whether the crossover reference for a high-pass (e.g. only sending >80hz to the Luna's) or low pass (e.g. setting the sub's low pass crossover at <80hz)?

Please share your personal experience running the Luna's full range as front R/L and setting (tweaking) the sub's crossing over at 80hz.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed-99aggie View Post
    Happy New Year and best wishes to all on a healthy 2019.

Apologies for this Luna newbie question.

I have read a number of times in this thread that people have auditioned the Luna full range.

I also read that they pair well with a sub crossed over at 80hz. What is not clear to me is specifically in a sub-paired scenario whether the crossover reference for a high-pass (e.g. only sending >80hz to the Luna's) or low pass (e.g. setting the sub's low pass crossover at <80hz)?

Please share your personal experience running the Luna's full range as front R/L and setting (tweaking) the sub's crossing over at 80hz.
    Happy New Year to you too!

I am not quite sure I follow you. For nearly all surround receivers and processors, when you enable bass management (set speakers to small) - for whatever crossover frequency you set (typically 80Hz) - the speakers will be high passed at 80Hz and the sub will be low passed at 80Hz. You do not want a "hole" in the response - so if the speakers are high passed at 80, the sub should be low passed at 80.

The ideal crossover point for the Luna's is 80Hz when used with a sub.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave for the quick response.

I'm doing something perhaps less conventional in my set up, when two subs are connected.

The first sub is connected to the sub/LFE pre-out of the receiver. Listening to any audio in surround mode works fine.

The dilemma with the first setup is when I switch to 2-channel audio, with menu settings of front = small speakers/crossover = 80Hz. The LFE connected sub receives nominal/no signal.

Therefore the other sub, is fed through the front L/R pre-outs and I have set the front speakers to large.

My primary question is, what is the result to listening experience and downside for the Luna speakers when fed a full-range signal (not high passed at 80hz)? Are the Luna drivers at risk of over excursion and associated distortion?

Aside from replacing the receiver/processor with something newer, providing more configuration options and better bass management settings, are there other alternative configurations you'd suggest?

Audio gear includes: Sony receiver STR-DA3300ES, Emotiva amp XPA5-Gen3

Dave,

I may be way out in left field here, but have you ever considered releasing the Luna with an NRT tweeter instead of the ribbon?

I have a setup in our loft with a 55" TV and a 3.2 setup. Currently a couple of Polk R10s, a JBL G Center, and a pair of Outlaw M8 subs. We only ever use it for watching TV/movies or listening to the radio when we're in other parts of the house.

I would like to replace the speakers with something a little better, but the Lunas, while perfect size wise when the Luna LCR comes out, would be a little overkill, and certainly would require the true cost hidden with some discretion

Obviously I'm not an audio engineer like yourself, but it seems like a logical gap filler for someone that wants the awesome look of bamboo cabinets but for whom the $2K pricetag for a Luna setup is a little out of range...
    Last edited by Fast351; 01-06-2019 at 04:02 AM.

I thought the same thing. Some NRT Luna's as surrounds just to bring down the cost. I won't be able to appreciate the ribbons on the two rear speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast351 View Post
    Dave,

I may be way out in left field here, but have you ever considered releasing the Luna with an NRT tweeter instead of the ribbon?

I have a setup in our loft with a 55" TV and a 3.2 setup. Currently a couple of Polk R10s, a JBL G Center, and a pair of Outlaw M8 subs. We only ever use it for watching TV/movies or listening to the radio when we're in other parts of the house.

I would like to replace the speakers with something a little better, but the Lunas, while perfect size wise when the Luna LCR comes out, would be a little overkill, and certainly would require the true cost hidden with some discretion

Obviously I'm not an audio engineer like yourself, but it seems like a logical gap filler for someone that wants the awesome look of bamboo cabinets but for whom the $2K pricetag for a Luna setup is a little out of range...
    We can offer the Luna with the NrT dome or standard Sierra-1 dome. However, please note that the landed cost of our SEAS NrT dome tweeter is basically the same as our landed cost of the Luna ribbon tweeter. There would be no cost savings using our NrT dome.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com