Page 91 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8687888990919293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

You need to rotate that tweeter in the Luna center 90 degrees.
    -curtis

Good point and I'm also not sure that's a center cfg that Dave has in mind, was just characterizing the env so I could ask the question.

I've also managed to answer the question by looking at the Dolby website. They recommend from the listening position that the angle formed from the center to either the right or left front not be less than 23 degrees. The env I described (6' between L and R and 12' from the center) forms about an 11 degree angle. So with that said it's back to the drawing board.

Now I'm thinking BDI quad and towers pulled out from the wall a bit to reduce the distance to the viewer and to increase the distance between L to R. As you can see I'm in the early stages of putting something together, not planning on a purchase until late spring next year but the Acsend product line will definitely remain as a part of the final selection.

Small Places 2.jpg

BTW I'm looking at other Ascend products only because I want to take max advantage of my rooms available viewing distance that's unfortunately coupled to a limited width sound stage.

I'm 100% certain there are dozens of ideal uses for the Luna's such as wall mounted surrounds, limited viewing distance rooms, limited space rooms, non HT dedicated multi functional great rooms, bedrooms, etc.

I think Dave has given us a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of speaker miniaturization without the poor compromises that we see in so many big box store brands. Miniature speakers possessing sonic characteristics truly that truly rival much larger enclosures are pipe dreams on most product lists but IMHO the Luna's are game changers in this en vogue market space.

Dave not sure if it's in the plans or not but this design looks like it could easily be fitted as a compact wall mounted LRC solution. Three of these coupled with a pair of carefully placed subs would make a bullfrog howl like a dog!

My stage width is exactly 10' so I can get closer to the Dolby spec for the center to L/R angle from a 12' viewing position than I originally thought. In addition extending the L/R spacing lets me choose between a Q9FN 65 and a Q9FN 75.

Unless a vertically oriented Luna center produces unyielding enclosure design problems I'm thinking this would be a sweet setup:

1 wall mounted Luna center
    2 wall mounted vertical Luna centers as L/R speakers
    2 wall mounted Luna mini's as front height speakers
    2 Rythmik FV15HP's

The L/R could also be done with 2 Luna mini's but the vertical centers are just so intriguing.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Small Places 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dfurry View Post
    Dave not sure if it's in the plans or not but this design looks like it could easily be fitted as a compact wall mounted LRC solution. Three of these coupled with a pair of carefully placed subs would make a bullfrog howl like a dog!
    This is exactly one of the intended uses for both the Luna and forthcoming Luna LCR. The plan from the beginning was to design these to be used for really any type of placement, including on-wall. They are simple to flush mount, front ported, and specifically designed for minimum depth. Woofer / cabinet tuning is critically damped to best take advantage of the additional bass reinforcement wall mounting creates so they will never sound "boomy"...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by dfurry View Post
    Not sure how much the audio imaging might suffer from the tight spacing or how large a room could be satisfied but a 65" TV, 3 Luna's and a BDI Triple could be fitted in about a 6' by 6' wall space and a pair of subs could be placed elsewhere in the room.

If the Luna's were mounted on a wall 6' apart, the Luna center was placed between them and the listener sat 12 - 15 feet from the wall how wide would the sound image be at the listeners position?
    It is very difficult to predict as every room is different, but the Luna's have unbelievably wide horizontal dispersion so while 6 foot spacing between the speakers at a listening distance of 12 feet is certainly not ideal, I am guessing it would still work well. I am using a pair of Luna's on a TV console and they are only about 5 feet apart (one at each of the console) and our listening position (our bed) is at least 15 feet away. Performance is impressive...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So...

When to use Luna center vs Sierra 2?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    So...

When to use Luna center vs Sierra 2?
    When space is limited, on-wall applications, and when one desires a more traditional look for the center.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Prototype cabinets we saw today....

-curtis