Page 5 of 112 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

SEAS has finished the first batch of prototypes and I am *slowly* starting on the cabinet design. I should have a good estimate on cabinet size and porting requirements within a week or so -- if we can ever get caught up with fulfilling holiday orders.

The bad news is that pricing on these woofers has come back a bit higher than I anticipated. The Curv cones are expensive and we will also have to invest in some new tooling. That said, I will be looking into ways to cut some costs here and there.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    SEAS has finished the first batch of prototypes and I am *slowly* starting on the cabinet design. I should have a good estimate on cabinet size and porting requirements within a week or so -- if we can ever get caught up with fulfilling holiday orders.

The bad news is that pricing on these woofers has come back a bit higher than I anticipated. The Curv cones are expensive and we will also have to invest in some new tooling. That said, I will be looking into ways to cut some costs here and there.
    I have no idea how these things work but would it help to have presales so you can commit to a larger/cheaper order?

Regrettably, this is unlikely at this point in time. This type of finishing has become extremely expensive and high gloss finishes seem to have lost their appeal.
    Understandable. It is odd to me though since I think my speakers look better than the satin ones. Maybe looking at them every day for 6 years has biased me..

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I hope they can be front-ported to facilitate placement of the speakers. As satellites, i'll be happy if frequency response hits 100Hz because the sub will take care of the rest.

Dave,

How about a CBM 170 RAAL?

If these will replacing my current surrounds, I'd prefer them to be plain black matte. In fact, if I replace my Sierra-2 fronts, those replacements will be matte black vs. the current piano gloss. The surrounds will blend in better and the fronts won't reflect off the projection screen if they're matte. Gloss is pretty but the shininess causes its own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Dave,

How about a CBM 170 RAAL?
    I honestly hadn't really thought about this. My concern would be directivity issues with crossing the 170 woofer at a higher point than this woofer was designed for. It wouldn't be a problem if we used the 70-20 ribbon (what we use in the towers and can be crossed very low) - but then this speaker would be nearly the same price as the Sierra-2.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

First batch of prototype woofers have arrived from SEAS. For a 4.5" woofer, these things are massive!

Interestingly enough, these will work very well in a very small enclosure (-3dB at 60Hz) The challenge now becomes how to design this enclosure to meet the goals stated in this thread, while also employing the proper port tune... This is quite a challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

First batch of prototype woofers have arrived from SEAS. For a 4.5" woofer, these things are massive!

Interestingly enough, these will work very well in a very small enclosure (-3dB at 60Hz) The challenge now becomes how to design this enclosure to meet the goals stated in this thread, while also employing the proper port tune... This is quite a challenge.
    Awesome, I can't wait to see a frequency chart for these speakers. Roll-off is supposedly great due to the rigidity of the CURV woofers. When do you think you will have a unit put together?

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    I have no idea how these things work but would it help to have presales so you can commit to a larger/cheaper order?
    We already purchase in large enough quantities to receive the maximum volume discounts that our vendors offer, especially when it comes to SEAS.

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    Understandable. It is odd to me though since I think my speakers look better than the satin ones. Maybe looking at them every day for 6 years has biased me..
    I too liked the old gloss wood finishes, but it just isn't popular these days.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

This is quite a challenge.
    I have a feeling this is one of the reasons to love (or hate) designing and building speakers.