Page 41 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    Dave, any chance of magnetic grills for the Sierra Towers and Sierra 2s?
    Possibly - but it wouldn't be for quite some time as we will use the Luna as a test for how well the magnetic grille system we devised holds up. There are 8 ridiculously strong neo magnets being used for each cabinet / grille set. It is complicated because while veneering or painting over a magnet is easy, with solid bamboo cabinets, we can not use these same methods. Magnets have to be installed into the front baffle from behind, and the depth is critical so as to offer enough magnetic pull though the baffle while also not sacrificing cabinet integrity.

For Sierra-1/Sierra-2 - Towers - Horizons etc, it will take an entire redesign of the grille and front baffle, with sampling and experimentation. In other words, a ton of redesign work.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Can't wait to get my Sierra with RAAL setup. First thing I'm gonna do is listen to these 6 CDs

IMG_3886.JPG
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I learned that offering true high end audio performance in such a small form factor was *nearly* impossible, lol.

Later today I will be doing direct A/B comparisons against the Sierra-2 crossed at 80Hz with a steep slope.

The thing with these Luna's is that it is rather shocking to hear this level of performance coming from speakers so small. In that regard - and in many respects, there is more of a WOW experience than with the Sierra-2. I am excited for someone / anyone - to pay us a visit and have a listen.
    We are planning a LA/SD trip for November, will Ascend be open during the Thanksgiving Week? (11/21, 11/22 and 11/23)

Would love to stop by and listen to Luna in person...

BTW, I am sure we all would love to hear your take on comparing the overall performance of Luna vs Sierra-2
    Last edited by justthinking; 10-27-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Possibly - but it wouldn't be for quite some time as we will use the Luna as a test for how well the magnetic grille system we devised holds up. There are 8 ridiculously strong neo magnets being used for each cabinet / grille set. It is complicated because while veneering or painting over a magnet is easy, with solid bamboo cabinets, we can not use these same methods. Magnets have to be installed into the front baffle from behind, and the depth is critical so as to offer enough magnetic pull though the baffle while also not sacrificing cabinet integrity.

For Sierra-1/Sierra-2 - Towers - Horizons etc, it will take an entire redesign of the grille and front baffle, with sampling and experimentation. In other words, a ton of redesign work.
    Have you given any thought about new finish with veneer over unpainted bamboo cabinet couple with magnetic grille? that way you can drill directly into the cabinet and only need 4 magnets instead of 8, the extra cost of veneer maybe offset by saving on labor required to do 8 magnets?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I am going to plan a date with Mike...and hopefully Mitch too.
    Just let me know what works good for you guys. My schedule is pretty flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Just let me know what works good for you guys. My schedule is pretty flexible.
    Please post. I wouldn't mind tagging along if it wouldn't be an issue for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Please post. I wouldn't mind tagging along if it wouldn't be an issue for you all.
    Certainly! The more the merrier.

I typed up my scribble notes for my listening session last night. Can’t get much work done today as I just want to enjoy these little speakers.

Sierra Luna listening session notes: 10/27

Started at 10pm, expected to finish by midnight but I found myself having so much fun with these little guys that I ended up listening to them for 6 hours straight.

Fun – what an absolute fun pair of speakers. Run full range, no sub – very surprising bass and dynamics. Throws a HUGE soundstage with pinpoint imaging – easily equal to the imaging of Sierra-2. Vocals are just a touch more forward, which is good because these cabinets are so tiny.

Very real feeling of awe, this much dynamic room filling sound from something so small. Completely fills the demo room with extreme ease. LOUD – hit 99dB with boom boom pow at 11 feet distance with no audible compression to my ears, suspect can push 3dB-6dB louder but don’t want to risk damage to this set.

Direct A/B with HTM-200, Luna bests the 200 in every category. Deeper and even more defined bass which I was aiming for but didn’t actually expect to get there, considering the 200’s sealed enclosure and significantly larger cabinet volume. 200’s sound small with more of a flat wall of sound, Luna’s sound large and a completely enveloping sound. Easier to listen to than the 200's yet with so much more detail - recording venue ambiance comes though easily with Luna, inaudible with 200's. Male vocals are guttural and engaging, 200's sound a bit flat in this regard. Not really fair comparison due to cost differences, but the 200's easily bested every other similar sized speaker I tried and I just don't have anything to compare to, Luna's simply demolish the 200's.

So much fun listening to these—

Direct A/B with Sierra-2 crossed at 80Hz with F12 sub, with eyes shut, having a difficult time determining which speaker is playing. Luna’s about 2 – 2.5dB less efficient (likely meet 84dB sensitivity spec) Sierra-2 perhaps just a tad bit smoother vocals at very loud levels, Luna’s are slightly more forward. Timbre matching is dead on. Luna woofer is very impressive.. Sheffield Labs drum track demo sounds fantastic –clean, fast and completely transparent – speakers disappear. Audioslave sounds great -- everything is easy to listen to.

Perfect balance between efficiency, bass response, transient accuracy is achieved. I feel to make any possible improvement to one specific performance area would result in too much compromise to another aspect. Have never heard anything with this level of performance in such a small cabinet.

Design is finished!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow, I can't wait to hear these!

I really wish I could drive down there and hear them. Hopefully I can pick a pair up next year at some point. It sounds like a truly incredible achievement!
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers