Page 31 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Sierra Sat., (Ascend sound bar?)

I also think a Dave F. designed sound bar would be a terrific idea-- as someone running 2-channel separates in a room with TV where I can't/don't want to go full home theater. Perhaps a market opportunity also(?) Thoughts, Dave?

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
    Sound bars are nice, but I want to keep Dave focused on the important stuff, like the Sierra Sat and (to be unbiased) the all-important Sat Center.

How many of us can’t wall mount their TV and so use the TV’s stand? And how many use entertainment centers or TV consoles or just tables that have no open shelf that allows the center speaker cabinet to be located directly under the TV? All of these folks (myself included) need a center speaker that is so thin and short that (1) it can sit on the same surface as the TV’s stand, and (2) not obscure any of the screen behind it.

For “many a moon” I have been looking for a Center channel speaker that is only 6” deep and high. And the search has become harder, because during that time I have become “done with domes”. (For me, they just don’t have the airiness and detail of ribbons and planars.)

So for the Sat Center to have the right dimensions, a Raal ribbon, low mass midwoofer, bamboo enclosure, etc., well, its the Holy Grail! (but only after the Center version is designed, fabricated, and for sale…)
    I am in the exact same situation. Can't wait for the Sat Center to go with my Sierra 2's.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I guess this thread will be quieting down. I'm looking forward to pics of the final version and reports on it from Dave and then the long wait till September when (hopefully) shipping will start.

I'm really looking forward to pics of the face without a grill showing no grill cloth holes!

Can someone explain what the advantages a Sierra-2 would have over a Sierra sat, seeing as how they are going to use the same tweeters and similar if not the same woofers?

Quote Originally Posted by LexLynx View Post
    Can someone explain what the advantages a Sierra-2 would have over a Sierra sat, seeing as how they are going to use the same tweeters and similar if not the same woofers?
    Refer to post #259.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Dave wrote that he recommends the Sierra-2, but he didn't explain why.

Dave wrote that he recommends the Sierra-2, but he didn't explain why.
    The Sierra-2 should be able to play louder and be more dynamic.

The Sat's woofer will be significantly smaller.
    -curtis

Stop making me want to buy Sierra 2's for my surrounds. I have to keep telling myself they're overkill and I don't need them.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    Stop making me want to buy Sierra 2's for my surrounds. I have to keep telling myself they're overkill and I don't need them.
    You Don't need them SG, you Want Them!
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Hi Lex,

The Sierra Sat is significantly smaller than the Sierra-2, and as such, has much less cabinet volume and a smaller woofer. The mids and highs between the Sat's and the two's are very similar, but the two's have much deeper bass as well as more midbass and are a more dynamic speaker. While I think we have come somewhat close to defying the laws of physics with the Sierra Sat, the Sierra-2 is still the better choice for front main speakers in a typical listening environment.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com