Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    It would be nice to incorporate a custom wall mount bracket for flush mount against the wall..

If it has to be ported, can it be front ported design?
    +1 for a front port, if sealed with a single midbass speaker does not allow to hit the other design goals. Something not bigger than the CBM-170 SE, maybe even a tad narrower, would be ideal!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I'd like to see something smaller than the 200's. Something about 5" or less in width. Height is not the big issue so a taller cabinet is ok to accommodate a front port. If height is an issue for some then maybe a bottom firing port would work?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

This is great news! I have recently purchased some Sierra 2s for my main speakers using some old outdoor Aperion audio outdoor speakers as surrounds. They sound pretty good together, but I know that down the line I want to get some Ascend speakers to fill out the surround and surround back speakers. I really thought ribbon tweeters were out because the price was just too high to justify. If we can get the same performance as the Sierra 2s in a smaller speaker at a cheaper price only giving up maybe a little bit in output and low end extension, then this sounds like a winner. I'm not sure if I would go with them for surround backs, but definitely for surrounds.

Pricing for these could be tricky. If too close to the 170's or 340's they could pull sales away from those, if too close to the Sierra-1's then the same may be true. Depends on the customer's requirements for ultimate performance I suppose.

Dave, you mentioned a possible WTW center. What about a vertical WTW (MTM) mini tower like the 340's?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Pricing for these could be tricky. If too close to the 170's or 340's they could pull sales away from those, if too close to the Sierra-1's then the same may be true. Depends on the customer's requirements for ultimate performance I suppose.

Dave, you mentioned a possible WTW center. What about a vertical WTW (MTM) mini tower like the 340's?
    I was wondering the same thing. if they are priced between the 340s and the Sierra 1s, I would be very happy. But, it seems like interest in the Sierra 1s would be greatly diminished. My initial gut reaction is, how could that be possible, though. I would guess they would be priced between the Seirra 1s and Sierra 2s. But, then why not go with the Sierra 2s if they price is that close to them.

You nailed it. I think pricing will be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. if they are priced between the 340s and the Sierra 1s, I would be very happy. But, it seems like interest in the Sierra 1s would be greatly diminished. My initial gut reaction is, how could that be possible, though. I would guess they would be priced between the Seirra 1s and Sierra 2s. But, then why not go with the Sierra 2s if they price is that close to them.

You nailed it. I think pricing will be tricky.
    Indeed - pricing is going to be tricky. These will likely cost more than the Sierra-1, just not possible to offer this level of component quality at Sierra-1 prices. RAAL ribbons and Seas Curv woofers are expensive, as are bamboo cabinets. This will definitely be somewhat of a niche product, perfect for someone who wants RAAL ribbon surrounds (we get a lot of requests for this) and ideal for someone looking for best-in-class performance for small satellites.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I can only imagine having never really heard the 200's.

I am currently demoing a pair of Wavecrest HVL-1's which you designed. Curtis was gracious enough to send a new pair for me to check out, and will be taking to a local GTG of AV nutheads! I hooked them up in my stereo 2.1 system in place of my Sierra-2's crossed to my 12" Rythmik. I know they are in different worlds but I'm not in a hurry to put the -2's back up. For $199/pr they are excellent!

So, the 200's have to be even better!
    Yeah - those HVL-1's are really something. I preferred them, by a large margin, to the new Elac B5 - although the B5 has much deeper bass. 200's and HVL-1's are different -- hard for me to say which one is actually better, and I think Curtis would agree. Our 200's are more detailed and accurate, more dynamic, faster transients -- more of the "Ascend" sound. The HVL's offer a lusher sound, warmer, perhaps more musical and really sound terrific in a small space without a sub. 200's definitely need a subwoofer, but I was actually quite impressed yesterday running the 200's full range.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave

When can we expect these speakers to be available? Summer, fall or winter of 2016?

Thanks
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    Hi Dave

When can we expect these speakers to be available? Summer, fall or winter of 2016?

Thanks
    Ron
    Hoping late 1st quarter in 2016.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No one else has stuck their neck out with a guess at the prices yet?

Well then, let me be the first

So I am going to take a stab that Dave F. will end up creating two new speaker models: The Sierra Sat (1x RAAL ribbon tweeter + 1x 4.5" SEAS CURV mid-woofer), and the Sierra Sat Center (1x RAAL ribbon tweeter + 2x 4.5" SEAS CURV mid-woofers).

I'm making a guess that a pair of Sierra Sat mini-monitors will cost $1168/pair

And I'm going to guess that the Sierra Sat Center ends up being $698 each.

Total guesses! I hope I don't end up putting Dave in a sticky situation if they end up costing more (which they bloody well should! ). But I'm taking a somewhat educated guess based upon prior price points and margins, as well as how these price points would fit in amongst the other Ascend models at their current price points.

Some of my reasoning here (aside from guessing at component costs and margins) is that at $1168/pair, the Sierra Sats would cost just a tiny bit more than the Sierra-1 NrT (which they should), but they'd be a substantial savings vs. the Sierra-2.

For the Sierra Sat Center, I'm much more unsure. Maybe it would make sense for it to cost more than a Sierra-2 Center since it will have 2x 4.5" mid-woofers? But I figure that the Sierra-2 will still play lower in the bass, and I figure the Sierra Sat Center will have a smaller cabinet. So I've guessed that it will end up costing less than a Sierra-2 Center.

Anyways, that's me taking a stab at guessing the price points. Obviously, my guesses are for the least expensive finish option - whatever that ends up being - most likely matte black, I would assume.

Definitely going to be cool to have these as an option for on-wall Surrounds as well as on-ceiling Atmos speakers!

- Rob H. - AV Rant Podcast co-host