Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Reaching that type of extension in a sealed enclosure with a single 4.5", while also being able to have decent efficiency and power handling would, unfortunately, be nearly impossible. That said, I will be investigating various possibilities with this new woofer, and potential variations of the woofer. Much depends on the what options SEAS is able to come up with for cone mass, motor strength, and coil length.
    Make a sealed vertical WTW? :-)

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

It would be nice to incorporate a custom wall mount bracket for flush mount against the wall..

If it has to be ported, can it be front ported design?

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    It would be nice to incorporate a custom wall mount bracket for flush mount against the wall..

If it has to be ported, can it be front ported design?
    +1 for a front port, if sealed with a single midbass speaker does not allow to hit the other design goals. Something not bigger than the CBM-170 SE, maybe even a tad narrower, would be ideal!

I'd like to see something smaller than the 200's. Something about 5" or less in width. Height is not the big issue so a taller cabinet is ok to accommodate a front port. If height is an issue for some then maybe a bottom firing port would work?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

This is great news! I have recently purchased some Sierra 2s for my main speakers using some old outdoor Aperion audio outdoor speakers as surrounds. They sound pretty good together, but I know that down the line I want to get some Ascend speakers to fill out the surround and surround back speakers. I really thought ribbon tweeters were out because the price was just too high to justify. If we can get the same performance as the Sierra 2s in a smaller speaker at a cheaper price only giving up maybe a little bit in output and low end extension, then this sounds like a winner. I'm not sure if I would go with them for surround backs, but definitely for surrounds.

IMO, people who buy these are the ones who is looking a speaker with ease of placement, likely to put it on shelfs, good wife acceptance. If these are rear ported they may not be to suitable to be put up against wall. Would a front ported be better? I even think a front slotted port is a much better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    IMO, people who buy these are the ones who is looking a speaker with ease of placement, likely to put it on shelfs, good wife acceptance. If these are rear ported they may not be to suitable to be put up against wall. Would a front ported be better? I even think a front slotted port is a much better way to go.
    Dave, I would have to agree with the above! My interest in a Sierra-Sat would likely be in a confined space up against a wall, in a cabinet, or on the wall as a surround speaker. The option to have them front ported or sealed is more interesting to me rather than a rear port.

Just a thought.......

Im likely going to end up with a pair at one point or another to keep the streak going of owning I believe every Ascend speaker model made (minus the original 170/200 - I had the SE's).

Brandon

Any chance of a Gloss Espresso version for us folks who have the old shiny sierras?

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    Any chance of a Gloss Espresso version for us folks who have the old shiny sierras?
    Regrettably, this is unlikely at this point in time. This type of finishing has become extremely expensive and high gloss finishes seem to have lost their appeal.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

SEAS has finished the first batch of prototypes and I am *slowly* starting on the cabinet design. I should have a good estimate on cabinet size and porting requirements within a week or so -- if we can ever get caught up with fulfilling holiday orders.

The bad news is that pricing on these woofers has come back a bit higher than I anticipated. The Curv cones are expensive and we will also have to invest in some new tooling. That said, I will be looking into ways to cut some costs here and there.
    I have no idea how these things work but would it help to have presales so you can commit to a larger/cheaper order?

Regrettably, this is unlikely at this point in time. This type of finishing has become extremely expensive and high gloss finishes seem to have lost their appeal.
    Understandable. It is odd to me though since I think my speakers look better than the satin ones. Maybe looking at them every day for 6 years has biased me..