Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Dave,

So.... we must be getting pretty close to having a final prototype, yes?

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Slimmer Tower?
    No, my friend, what we need is a BIGGER tower.
    Maybe line array but a minimum of two 12" Rythmik subs built in. Extension down to 18hz. 1k watt monoblock capable behemoths capable of testing the build quality of your house.
    Smaller? Nay.
    Anyhoooo, this thread is for the Sat's, so I will save my wish list for another thread.
    Just ordered my Horizon center and anxiously await an order date for the Sats!

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    Dave,

So.... we must be getting pretty close to having a final prototype, yes?
    We have finalized (with testing) magnetic grilles. We are basically just waiting for the final prototype woofers from SEAS, in addition to the crossover PCB which according to the design files, will *just fit* into the cabinet. Once we get the final version of the woofers, assuming there are no issues, I will finalize the crossover and we head into full production.

I know this is taking a lot longer than originally anticipated - I have never been good at deciding when a design is actually finished as I continually look to squeeze out every last ounce of performance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We have finalized (with testing) magnetic grilles. We are basically just waiting for the final prototype woofers from SEAS, in addition to the crossover PCB which according to the design files, will *just fit* into the cabinet. Once we get the final version of the woofers, assuming there are no issues, I will finalize the crossover and we head into full production.

I know this is taking a lot longer than originally anticipated - I have never been good at deciding when a design is actually finished as I continually look to squeeze out every last ounce of performance.
    Dare to give us a possible shipping date/week or still too early?

The Sierra Sat’s 6” height and depth dimensions are very appealing as a center speaker for my situation.

Are there any developments that can be disclosed about the Sat Center? (Will its configuration be wtw like the CMT 340SE Center or tw like the Sierra 1 and 2 Centers?)

I think I've finally found my Ascend atmos system. I currently have 2 Sierra towers raal, a horizon raal, 3 Sierra 2's... need one more. I also have an lv12r... need one more. With 4 sats that would be a raal 7.2.4 atmos setup. I am getting the Denon x7200wa and will use my Marantz 7008 to power the sats. I can't wait to hear an all raal atmos/dts:x setup. This will be one seriously kick ass system.

I have been following the atmos discussions at AVS and what I read is that atmos speakers should have 90% dispersion. I don't know what the sats dispersion is.

The last dilemma is how do I either ceiling or wall mount the sats and be able to aim them at the listening position? I don't know if ceiling or wall would produce a superior atmos sound. I know that numerous in ceiling atmos speakers have aimable tweeters and woofers. Is there a 3rd party solution that has an aimable mount or Dave will you have that solution for the sats?

One more idea is to make the Sierra towers with an up firing speaker in the top like Klipsch's new atmos system. I heard that this last weekend and was really impressed but know that won't hold a candle to my Ascend atmos system. I am blown away by your speakers Dave.
    Last edited by cranster; 05-11-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Dare to give us a possible shipping date/week or still too early?
    My guess (and it's just a guess) - end of June/early July and $1200 a pair.

Nope. 1098;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd WI View Post
    You mentioned the Sats have great horizontal dispersion due to smaller woofer and narrower baffle, that made me think slim(mer) tower. It didn't make me think nearfield.
    I too would be interested in a smaller tower that was UNDER 40" tall and of a smaller foot print for use in a small condo with this sound quality and dispersion (room will be wider than it is deep). I am also looking forward to a new center speaker using these same components to complete the package.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I was thinking about this same issue yesterday...So.... with that in mind, I have managed to find a Chinese source for the exact same neo magnets we plan to use and their price is about 1/4th what we would pay purchasing them here. If I can manage to ship them combined with various other misc parts we buy from China (namely our spiked feet and binding posts) -- it also reduces the price. So, with that in mind as I look at the current BOM, we can now afford to offer the magnetic grilles together with the speakers for no additional costs.

Of course, there is an additional labor cost from our cabinet maker to install the magnets, but if we can order the sat cabinets at the same time we order tower or horizon or Sierra-1/2 cabinets from them -- they will waive these additional labor costs as there would be an additional price break on larger quantities of bamboo.
    Dave,

Since I'm always pulling my grills off my S1's, curious if in the future you might be willing to incorporate the "magnetic grill feature" into the Sierra-2's, or even the Towers\Horizon\Sierra 1's. If they work well in the Sat's, this could be an additional convenient selling feature that would be really nice for us music lovers that not only love to "hear" their awesome Ascends, but also like to "see" the beauty of the Bamboo cabinets!

Sorry for stirring the "pot" on this topic, but it's what we locals do well!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 05-13-2016 at 02:15 PM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!