Page 21 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Gorgeous!
    Dave, what about the standard & NrT dome versions? Any experimentation with those yet?

These are really going to cause some commotion in the A/V world!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Dave,
    Thanks for the update. Although I doubt I'll get these (I have the Sierra-2), it's so interesting to follow along as you discuss the process of developing new speakers.
    --Pegleg

I'm just hoping the price won't be much over $1k. I'd like to buy them soon and my budget is running thin, plus I'd like to add a second set in the future for surround heights. Here's hoping for a promo/introductory price

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Gorgeous!
    Dave, what about the standard & NrT dome versions? Any experimentation with those yet?

These are really going to cause some commotion in the A/V world!
    +1 NRT pair would be great....
    MacMini > Audirvana > Musical Fidelity V Dac II >
    Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 > Sierra Tower NRT > Rythmik F12SE > My Ears >

In a small to medium size room with a good but small subwoofer... this could be the perfect setup.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I'm just hoping the price won't be much over $1k. I'd like to buy them soon and my budget is running thin, plus I'd like to add a second set in the future for surround heights. Here's hoping for a promo/introductory price
    We should have a pool. I'd pick $1199.

Have the Sierra 2's as the front stage in a 5.1 system and love them, they are magical. So I'm excited about the SSR sat for a 2.1 channel setup. The icing on the cake would be a magnetic grille. Possible?
    Last edited by Bill66; 04-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    We should have a pool. I'd pick $1199.
    You mean $1198, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill66 View Post
    The icing on the cake would be a magnetic grille. Possible?
    This was discussed at length with the regular Sierra line. The problem is the V-lam bamboo construction. In most magnetic grill applications which usually have a veneer-over-MDF/plywood construction it is rather simple. Just bore a hole in the baffle face prior to applying the veneer which the magnet drops into. The veneer is then applied over this and you have hidden magnets within the baffle. Since there is no veneer on the Sierras, but rather the bamboo grain you see is the actual solid bamboo with finish applied, you do not have a veneer to hide the magnets. If you don't mind seeing those magnets when the grills are removed then no big deal, but the advantage of magnetic grills is that you have a clean looking baffle when the grill is off.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    This was discussed at length with the regular Sierra line. The problem is the V-lam bamboo construction. In most magnetic grill applications which usually have a veneer-over-MDF/plywood construction it is rather simple. Just bore a hole in the baffle face prior to applying the veneer which the magnet drops into. The veneer is then applied over this and you have hidden magnets within the baffle. Since there is no veneer on the Sierras, but rather the bamboo grain you see is the actual solid bamboo with finish applied, you do not have a veneer to hide the magnets. If you don't mind seeing those magnets when the grills are removed then no big deal, but the advantage of magnetic grills is that you have a clean looking baffle when the grill is off.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation. I always wondered why the Sierras use post holes instead of magnets, and this makes perfect sense. Now I won't be so bothered by those holes anymore.