Page 14 of 112 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Tell me about it, I have Sierra 2 LCR and Outlaw Audio Ultra x12. I was about to purchase some more for surrounds, but this sat sounds like the perfect companion. I cannot wait!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I can't wait for photos of the finished product or prototype!
    Last edited by ajs2001; 03-01-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Ultimately, we might have to make the cabinet slightly larger but we won't know until we get into the crossover design phase.
    Not a problem for me.

100% correct. The "slot" itself is actually going to be ~ 9" in total depth.

Tough to say. As the design stands right now, the CBM's do offer deeper bass extension. However, once we start the crossover design, some overall efficiency can be sacrificed in order to give the sats a bigger sound. Our goal is to try and match the overall tonality and balance of the Sierra-2 as closely as we can...

We have demoed a lot of "satellite" speakers with 4" - 4.5" woofers recently. Sadly, not a single set has even come close to matching published manufacturer specs... Not even close. I found our 200's to demolish these speakers in every category and our published specs of the 200's are accurate, even a bit conservative.

While we are not aiming for a "big sound" from these sat's, that same "big sound" was never a design goal for any of our speakers. It comes from a combination of bass extension and midbass, which is all related to bass tuning and overall voicing. While more complicated due to the small size, our design philosophy will not be compromised in any regard with these sat's. These fully custom made 4.5" woofers from SEAS are extremely capable, a beast of a 4.5" woofer.
    Out of curiosity, was one of these speakers the Salk WOW1? They have positive comments from reviewers/users regarding fullness of sound and low end output. Granted, no ribbon tweeter option here. Have never heard them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
    Out of curiosity, was one of these speakers the Salk WOW1? They have positive comments from reviewers/users regarding fullness of sound and low end output. Granted, no ribbon tweeter option here. Have never heard them myself.
    The sensitivity for the WOW1 is pretty low, probably due to getting more bass.

For a satellite meant to be used with a subwoofer, I doubt Dave has the same design goals.

Quote Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
    No, my reference was not directed towards the WOW1. I would not actually consider the WOW1 a satellite speaker, it is more like a mini-monitor. Either way, the Sierra Sat will compare very favorably...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

No, seriously, any update on the cabinet design? Thanks Dave!
    All drawings are finished and with our cabinet maker. 2-3 weeks for first prototype... Keeping fingers crossed that the Sat will perform as well or better than the modeling predicted.

I am thinking R-Sat for the ribbon version. N-Sat for the NrT dome version. D-Sat for standard dome version. Thoughts?
    Last edited by davef; 03-01-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

All drawings are finished and with our cabinet maker. 2-3 weeks for first prototype... Keeping fingers crossed that the Sat will perform as well or better than the various models.

I am thinking R-Sat for the ribbon version. N-Sat for the NrT dome version. D-Sat for standard dome version. Thoughts?
    I like it Dave. Easy to understand and sounds good saying them.
    Video: JVC RS540 w/Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH / HDFury Vertex 2 w/Dolby Vision
    Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
    7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 Ex (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
    2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
    4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
    Theater Pics / Desktop

All drawings are finished and with our cabinet maker. 2-3 weeks for first prototype... Keeping fingers crossed that the Sat will perform as well or better than the modeling predicted.

This may be one of few marketing cases where "if you build it, they will come". Call them dog poo and I bet they still sell. However, with other speakers named things like WOW1, somehow R-Sat, N-Sat and D-Sat just sounds too utilitarian to me. They need to be something special like Satinators or FabriSats or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd WI View Post
    This may be one of few marketing cases where "if you build it, they will come". Call them dog poo and I bet they still sell. However, with other speakers named things like WOW1, somehow R-Sat, N-Sat and D-Sat just sounds too utilitarian to me. They need to be something special like Satinators or FabriSats or something.
    LOL - FabriSat.

Sierra R-Sat does have a nice ring to it IMO but we are open to anything.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com