Page 13 of 112 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Imagine my exuberance when I saw this thread. I can now get those wonderful RAALs all the way around in a smaller package.
    Have you been able to nail down sensitivty and impedence rating yet?

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    Imagine my exuberance when I saw this thread. I can now get those wonderful RAALs all the way around in a smaller package.
    Have you been able to nail down sensitivty and impedence rating yet?
    Impedance will essentially be the same as the Sierra-2, a very easy and stable 8ohm average load. Sensitivity will likely be an honest 85dB anechoic.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    The slot port looks very nice. I imagine the internal anatomy being more complex than the Sierra 1/2 due to the port being integrated in the woodwork as opposed to a tube. A bonus is the added rigidity the woodwork will provide.
    100% correct. The "slot" itself is actually going to be ~ 9" in total depth.

Dave, do you expect the Sats to sound at least as "big' as the CBMs? I have a 5.1 all-CBM set up and just love the "big-speaker" sound the CBMs make in my room.
    Tough to say. As the design stands right now, the CBM's do offer deeper bass extension. However, once we start the crossover design, some overall efficiency can be sacrificed in order to give the sats a bigger sound. Our goal is to try and match the overall tonality and balance of the Sierra-2 as closely as we can...

Lately, however, I have been looking for a smaller box footprint and tried the RSL CG4 speakers. They are almost exactly of the same dimensions as the proposed Sats but unfortunately their sound seemed to have "shrunk" in my listening area. The "big speaker" sound of the CBMs were gone. What I liked, though, was the small footprint of the RSLs. If the Sierra Sats can match the CBM's "big" sound I will be very interested.
    We have demoed a lot of "satellite" speakers with 4" - 4.5" woofers recently. Sadly, not a single set has even come close to matching published manufacturer specs... Not even close. I found our 200's to demolish these speakers in every category and our published specs of the 200's are accurate, even a bit conservative.

While we are not aiming for a "big sound" from these sat's, that same "big sound" was never a design goal for any of our speakers. It comes from a combination of bass extension and midbass, which is all related to bass tuning and overall voicing. While more complicated due to the small size, our design philosophy will not be compromised in any regard with these sat's. These fully custom made 4.5" woofers from SEAS are extremely capable, a beast of a 4.5" woofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the info Dave. I will be keeping an eye on the site for ordering info. Get a set of 4 ready in Satin Espresso. I cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by stickx View Post
    Hi Dave,

Just found this thread. Currently have 2 Sierra-2's as mains with 2 SVS 2000 subs. Assuming you make a center Sat, would that work in my setup? Due to room limitations the Sierra-2 center is just too big for wife approval.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Absolutely -- it would work very well
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

' Our goal is to try and match the overall tonality and balance of the Sierra-2 as closely as we can...'

That's an excellent goal.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Our goal is to try and match the overall tonality and balance of the Sierra-2 as closely as we can...
    Wow! Looks like these speakers are really worth waiting for. A 5.1 set-up with the Sierra Sats all around is in my future.

I currently have an all-CBM 5.1 set-up, all wall-mounted. While they have a sound that is tough to beat in my room, the CBM's size is beginning to look really big on my walls, especially the front. It's true that I can go with the 200s to have a smaller footprint, but I am looking at an upgrade path to the RAALs.

Hats off to you again, Dave, for your excellence in speaker design. This hobby brings gratification to a lot of us because of companies like Ascend.

wow-REALLY looking forward to these.

Hats off to you again, Dave, for your excellence in speaker design. This hobby brings gratification to a lot of us because of companies like Ascend.
    Thank you for the wonderful compliment, it truly means a lot to us over here. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will have the final mechanical drawings completed this evening. It is taking a bit longer than anticipated as it is a complex cabinet design with very little room. Ultimately, we might have to make the cabinet slightly larger but we won't know until we get into the crossover design phase.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thank you for the wonderful compliment, it truly means a lot to us over here. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will have the final mechanical drawings completed this evening. It is taking a bit longer than anticipated as it is a complex cabinet design with very little room. Ultimately, we might have to make the cabinet slightly larger but we won't know until we get into the crossover design phase.
    Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

No, seriously, any update on the cabinet design? Thanks Dave!