Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I hope they can be front-ported to facilitate placement of the speakers. As satellites, i'll be happy if frequency response hits 100Hz because the sub will take care of the rest.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Dave,

How about a CBM 170 RAAL?

If these will replacing my current surrounds, I'd prefer them to be plain black matte. In fact, if I replace my Sierra-2 fronts, those replacements will be matte black vs. the current piano gloss. The surrounds will blend in better and the fronts won't reflect off the projection screen if they're matte. Gloss is pretty but the shininess causes its own problems.

First batch of prototype woofers have arrived from SEAS. For a 4.5" woofer, these things are massive!

Interestingly enough, these will work very well in a very small enclosure (-3dB at 60Hz) The challenge now becomes how to design this enclosure to meet the goals stated in this thread, while also employing the proper port tune... This is quite a challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    First batch of prototype woofers have arrived from SEAS. For a 4.5" woofer, these things are massive!

Interestingly enough, these will work very well in a very small enclosure (-3dB at 60Hz) The challenge now becomes how to design this enclosure to meet the goals stated in this thread, while also employing the proper port tune... This is quite a challenge.
    Awesome, I can't wait to see a frequency chart for these speakers. Roll-off is supposedly great due to the rigidity of the CURV woofers. When do you think you will have a unit put together?

Quote Originally Posted by Drowningshrimp View Post
    Awesome, I can't wait to see a frequency chart for these speakers. Roll-off is supposedly great due to the rigidity of the CURV woofers. When do you think you will have a unit put together?
    This is exactly why we are going with the Curv woofers. We tested dozens of other woofers, with different materials and varying types of motors -- the SEAS Curv woofers offer incredible rigidity combined with the best self damping I have yet to measure in woofers this size. In addition, they are much lower mass which greatly improves transient accuracy and stored enery. I feel they are the perfect match to our Sierra-2 RAAL ribbon tweeter (which requires a higher crossover point), even compared to more expensive - "more exotic" woofers

It will be a while before we have a fully functional prototype...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This is quite a challenge.
    I have a feeling this is one of the reasons to love (or hate) designing and building speakers.

Hi Dave.

How about naming it "Sierra mini"; so as to better suggest the possibility of using them as mains, specially in a small desktop setup.

Keep up the good work!
    Best wishes.

I think "Sat" works just fine, especially given the market segment these are aimed at, which includes (to some degree) the new SVS Prime Sat. If someone is searching for satellite type speakers these will come up in a search. I have a pair of small 2-way bookshelf speakers that are named Micromonitors" that are substantially larger than the intended size for these.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Dave,

How about a CBM 170 RAAL?
    I honestly hadn't really thought about this. My concern would be directivity issues with crossing the 170 woofer at a higher point than this woofer was designed for. It wouldn't be a problem if we used the 70-20 ribbon (what we use in the towers and can be crossed very low) - but then this speaker would be nearly the same price as the Sierra-2.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com