Quote Originally Posted by palm101 View Post
I am using a pair of sierra 2 for left and right. Salk sound's WOW1 as Centre. Marantz 6010 is powering the speakers. All calibrated with XT32. So I am finding that the WOW1 is distorting near reference. I am seated about 6-7 feet from the speakers. Would the Luna be an upgrade from the WOW1 or I'm better off with another Sierra 2.
In many respects, the WOW1 and Luna are quite similar (similar woofers). While I do think the Luna would be the better center channel, due to near identical timbre matching with the Sierra-2 - if your major issue is the WOW1 running out of steam - unless there is something wrong with your WOW1 , the Luna would likely have similar issues.

Beave has made some excellent posts. One thing you need to try -- turn Audyssey completely off, are you still having distortion issues? If no, Audyssey is likely applying too much boost at some frequencies and since the WOW1 (and Luna) are somewhat low sensitivity - the Marantz itself might be the cause (running out of steam = clipping).

The major drawback of all these room EQ systems is that they have no idea what the actual capabilities of the speaker is, or even what the capabilities of the actual amp they are sending the signal to is.

At some point, I hope they will introduce a servo system such that the Auto EQ system will take measurements at increasing volume levels to determine at which point the speaker and amplifier reach their limitations. Perhaps I should have patented this idea prior to making it public?

Auto-Eq has been and continues to present constant problems for speaker manufacturers because when something goes wrong and a speaker doesn't sound right or a transducer blows -- first company they take issue with is the speaker company...