Thread: Yamaha htr 3066(70 W per channel) for Sierra tower?

Default Yamaha htr 3066(70 W per channel) for Sierra tower?

I just ordered the tower speaker yeahhh, while I wait for it and before I order an power house for the speaker(Emotiva xpa-5), I have been doing some reading and wanted some clarification.

I currently own a Yamaha htr 3066 rated at 70 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2-ch driven). I have been using this for a 2 channel set up.
    Based on what I am reading the towers sensitivity is 92 db @ 2.83v/1 meter so, I should not have any problem when I am listening to them at under 80db, I rarely go over 80.

So my question is, will the speakers be fine?

After reading a bunch and noticing what other people have mentioned, I am starting to think why many have 200+ watts for their speakers when you just need just 64 watts to get 110db. 110 is loud.

Should I spend the extra money to get a 200w amp when it will just get to 116 db.

Many say the manufactures don't post real number, is there no trust for AV receiver are there any study on thing?

Crossing 110 with 70w will clip, so will that happen to crossing 116@220w also right?

Please correct me if my math is wrong. Still learning

Thank you

Default Re: Yamaha htr 3066(70 W per channel) for Sierra tower?

The towers are not a difficult speaker to drive. 70 watts should be fine to drive them to your desired listening levels. Some people buy high wattage amplifiers because they have speakers that are difficult to drive or they want the ability to play extremely loud peaks. A hotly debated subject is whether amplifiers really sound different from each other. If you notice an improvement from a new, more powerful amp, it will be a more subtle change than upgrading speakers.
    Nate

One thing to remember is that power ratings for receivers are quite often over stated by a fair margin.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    -curtis

Thanks Nate and Curtis.

I think to I will get the Emotiva just to be on the safer side.

I have been looking for threads that point to over stated number, if do come across I will port it here.
    May be I need to learn EE and test this bugger my self

Quote Originally Posted by oneeardeaf View Post
    Thanks Nate and Curtis.

I think to I will get the Emotiva just to be on the safer side.

I have been looking for threads that point to over stated number, if do come across I will port it here.
    May be I need to learn EE and test this bugger my self
    Google "avr power ratings" and you will find some good reading.

When you get the Emotiva, do some listening with and without it in your system.
    -curtis

I just looked at the 3066...it doesn't have any preamp outputs, so you can't use an external amplifier.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-10-2015 at 10:02 PM.
    -curtis

Thanks Cutris. I will look up the avr rating.

This is a good point you have bought up.

Totally forgot about the pre out (facepalm) . I had looked up after posting this thread, audio out <> pre out .
    Yamaha RX-V777BT looks like a good replacement, fun times, fun times.

I will look up the about the avr rating and see how the speakers sound with this, long term(6 months) plan is to set up a 5.1, so excited... but I need to do this step by step.

I might as well just order the avr and the amp soon, it has to eventually happen.