Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: L12 on its way

Default Re: L12 on its way

Unless you are pulling out the front LR speakers too, I would not do #2. Pulling only the TV will make it interfere with the sound coming from the front speakers, especially if they have a wide horizontal dispertion.

Today I run a few "pseudo" scientific tests on the L12 :-)

Tried 20-200Hz sweep, both logaritmic and linear, single tones at frequencies between 20 and 100Hz and Kick Drum sounds generated with a Roland TR-808 drum machine from 20 to 70Hz in 10Hz steps.

I just listened, without taking any serious measurements other than using a couple of spectrum analyzer apps on my phone.

While I cannot claim 100% scientific accuracy, I can tell you that this little cube DOES play down to 20Hz with more than usable output. Rythmik specs it as capable of -3dB at 18Hz in "Low Music" mode (FR curve is on the product page on Rythmik website).

For the price the L12 is a steal of a sealed sub. In real use, it is very good with music and pretty good for HT (at least for my tastes). If I really feel the need for a bit more output with movies, I just bump the level +3dB with the sub trim via my Emotiva Fusion 8100 receiver's remote and call it a day.

This afternoon I listened to Albinoni's "Adagio in G minor", played by the Boston Pops Orchestra, directed by John Williams. Oh, my... This piece has some serious low register organ notes and the L12 did not disappoint.
    Last edited by MusicHead; 11-09-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Watched "Man of Steel" (DVD, unfortunately) yesterday evening. Besides continuing to be pleased at how well the L12 works with movies too (set in Low Music and +3dB sub trim from my AVR), I enjoyed even more the music during the end titles of the movie. Very strong bass and percussion content, once again the L12 did not disappoint.

I've placed an order for one L12 to complement my towers. Does it come with a cable? If not, what kind of cable do I need? Single RCA? Will a long (say 25 ft) cable do? Any recommendations for a cable? Ideally, I wouldn't want to spend more than $20 on a cable.

lastly, how do I connect and set it up with a USP-1 preamp? Its a basic preamp with no room correction, no test tone nor eq.

Thanks in advance.
    Steelbolz

ST RAAL, Emotiva ERC 3, XPA 2 and USP 1.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbolz View Post
    I've placed an order for one L12 to complement my towers. Does it come with a cable? If not, what kind of cable do I need? Single RCA? Will a long (say 25 ft) cable do? Any recommendations for a cable? Ideally, I wouldn't want to spend more than $20 on a cable.

lastly, how do I connect and set it up with a USP-1 preamp? Its a basic preamp with no room correction, no test tone nor eq.

Thanks in advance.
    No cable is included. I'm using this cable and it works fine for me. Mediabridge ULTRA Series Subwoofer Cable (25 Feet) - Dual Shielded with Gold Plated RCA to RCA Connectors - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FVX9FO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_YFP.wbPE8R6DS
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by steelbolz View Post

Thanks in advance.
    You will have to connect your speaker amp to the high pass rca outputs, and the sub to the subwoofer output. You'll have to obtain test tones, and an SPL meter. It will not be a simple task to get the sub integrated perfectly.

Thanks to Nate and Curtis for your feedback.

I'm looking to replace my small SVS subs with a pair of L12's. The only reason I'm going with the L12's is because I'm sick of breaking my back trying to move around heavy subwoofers when needed. LOL. I had a helluv a time moving around F15's when I previously owned them. I LOVED the F15's except for their massive weight and big size.

Currently I have dual SVS SB-1000 and was considering going to dual SVS SB-2000's which may be similar to a dual L12 setup, but I like the configurability of the L12's.
    Last edited by bkdc; 01-27-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Go for it, you won't regret the purchase :-) It has been a little over a year now that I have had the L12. I have thrown at it everything, if I had the space I would get another one. It is soooo good with music and just right with movies in my 17x13x8 room.

This little gem must be the best kept secret in the subwoofer world.

Just few days ago I got a pair of CMT-340 as my new mains. Oh my gosh, Ascend + Rythmik is a match made in heaven!

I decided just go to with dual F12's so I don't have any regrets. 68 pounds per speaker in a smaller package is much more manageable than the 90-something pound F15's I used to own. I hope it can reproduce the 16Hz pipe organ notes I'm planning to feed it occasionally. Feel sorry for my neighbors. LOL.