Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't decide which direction to go, looking for advice.

Default Re: Can't decide which direction to go, looking for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Be aware though, that the Sierra tower have 4 Ohm nominal impedance. The lower the impedance, the more current the receiver has to provide. ...

Dave or somebody else from Ascend can comment on the actual impedance profile of the Sierra Towers, as 4 Ohm is the nominal value. Same for the recommended distance from the wall, although a lot depend on the room acoustic. Generally speaking, all speakers benefit from some distance from walls, rear ported speakers even more so. Putting them too close to a wall would most likely make the bass too "boomy".
    This is incorrect, Unfortunately, there is still much confusion about what "nominal impedance" actually is. The Sierra Towers have a minimum impedance of 4.2 ohms. Minimum impedance is not nominal impedance. The term nominal is confusing - it should really be average impedance. The average impedance of the Sierra tower is 8 ohms. 4 ohm nominal speakers will typically have minimum impedance dips below 3 ohms. If you examine the impedance measurement, you will notice that for 5 octaves, impedance is fairly steady at 5-6 ohms, and for another 5 octaves, impedance is steady at 9-10 ohms.

The IEC definition of nominal impedance would categorize the tower as a 6 ohm nominal impedance speaker.

However, it is actually more complex than that as one must also examine phase shifts in combination with the low impedance areas, which in the case of the towers, phase angles (areas of higher reactance) are in combination with higher impedances.

The towers are an easy load for basically any modern AVR, regardless of what the rated impedance of the AVR is. To this date, and with thousands of towers sold -- we have yet to hear of any overheating issues or turn-off problems with a receiver or amp, regardless of its wattage and/or impedance ratings.

hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, my deepest apologies, I went too quickly through the Sierra Tower specifications. You are probably the only designer listing the minimum impedance of his speakers :-)

Very sorry for the unintentionally misleading post.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Dave, my deepest apologies, I went too quickly through the Sierra Tower specifications. You are probably the only designer listing the minimum impedance of his speakers :-)

Very sorry for the unintentionally misleading post.
    No worries, seriously. It is a good way to clear up confusion and provide our members with much needed info.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hello,
    I live in Denver (Castle Pines). Is there anyone close that I could listen to your Sierra 1's or towers before my purchase. pls Private Msg me if possible.
    Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by 737; 11-16-2015 at 01:20 PM.

You should edit your message and delete your cell number. Someone can send you a private message to get your phone number.

Thought I would let everyone know my decision. I ended up with a Denon X2100W, and bought a pair of MTM overnight sensations to hold me over. I saved up over about 2 months and bought a set of B-stock Sierra 2 in Satin Dark Cherry. I absolutely love them, though the wait was hard, it was soooooo worth it! I will be saving up more for a center and hopefully the "sierra sat" will be coming out too. Btw, if you can, wait for the B stock. I think Dave actually sent me A-stock on accident because the quality on these is ridiculous! They are perfect in every way!

L3G10A1R,
    Congratulations and I hope you enjoy the S2's for a long time.

Like you, I purchased a pair of S2's in SDC during the B-Stock sale (you obviously have excellent taste!) and completely agree with your "perfect as far as I can tell" assessment of their condition and performance.
    Cheers,
    XEagleDriver

L3G10NA1R
    I am currently chomping at the bit to follow exactly Johny Mac's line of thinking: using 170s as mains, a 340 center (and following Dave's tilting CRT mount idea here in the forum) but using 200s as surrounds (which would flank your couch nicely on stands with wires under the rug) as well as the LV12r sub. The Denon x4100 Johnny mentions has great room correction with Audyssey Platinum and pre-outs to future-proof your system in the short run and only $600 refurbished on Accessories4less.com, an approved Denon retailer. That receiver can also take an amp as well as get you into Atmos in the ceiling should you thirst for more power and sound... down the road, of course

The 170s are efficient speakers and will mate well to most any receiver (like the Denon) and that with speaker stands will cover your first $1000 to invest in what will be a great home theater. I think that'll be a great starting point. Enjoy!