So I have been wanting to get a nice setup for a while, but have been holding off. Well it wasn't fancy(but it was better than tv speakers) but for $100 my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 finally gave up. I've been talking to DaveF via email, but he's a busy guy and I don't want to constantly bother him . I've been trying to lookup as much as I can and I'm still falling short. What I am looking at as of now is a pair of CMT 340SE for front mains(or the 170's with a 340 center?). I do plan on eventually upgrading to a surround system(also will be moving into a house in a year or two). It will be used for movies/music (60%/40%). Does this sound like a decent start? When money builds in the entertainment savings, get a center? So on so forth... I will attach my current layout at the bottom.

One last question, I've been trying to decipher what makes an AVR good. Does anyone have recommendations on any that are entry or middle level?

Thanks in advance! I will continue doing my research and grow.
-Chris

PS: Pic came out a little small but it's a basic drawing of current setup. It's 17ft by 13 ft to counter (but its open all the way to front door) and 7 ft from wall to front of couch.