Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide which direction to go, looking for advice.

Default Can't decide which direction to go, looking for advice.

So I have been wanting to get a nice setup for a while, but have been holding off. Well it wasn't fancy(but it was better than tv speakers) but for $100 my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 finally gave up. I've been talking to DaveF via email, but he's a busy guy and I don't want to constantly bother him . I've been trying to lookup as much as I can and I'm still falling short. What I am looking at as of now is a pair of CMT 340SE for front mains(or the 170's with a 340 center?). I do plan on eventually upgrading to a surround system(also will be moving into a house in a year or two). It will be used for movies/music (60%/40%). Does this sound like a decent start? When money builds in the entertainment savings, get a center? So on so forth... I will attach my current layout at the bottom.

One last question, I've been trying to decipher what makes an AVR good. Does anyone have recommendations on any that are entry or middle level?

Thanks in advance! I will continue doing my research and grow.
    -Chris

PS: Pic came out a little small but it's a basic drawing of current setup. It's 17ft by 13 ft to counter (but its open all the way to front door) and 7 ft from wall to front of couch.

Default Re: Can't decide which direction to go, looking for advice.

What is your max budget? I assume this is an apartment.
    A pair of 340's is not a bad start. For movies you will want a center and subwoofer as budget allows.

As for an AVR: Take a look at Accessories4less. They sell factory certified refurbished Denon models. I have the X1000 I picked up last year. See what "X" models they are offering as refurbished and choose one which meets your needs. I have purchased several items from them over the years without issue, though experiences differ.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Right now, there isn't a final set budget. I was looking at under $1000 to get me started( the pair of 340 and an avr).

I'll definitely check out that website! Thanks for the response!

So I found an x2000 for $300 ($70 more than the x1000) do you think it's worth it for thexample extra power/features. I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and snag it.

Quote Originally Posted by L3G10NA1R View Post
    So I found an x2000 for $300 ($70 more than the x1000) do you think it's worth it for thexample extra power/features. I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and snag it.
    That is a very good price for the x2000, I would take it!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I did a little more research and decided to spend $30 more for the Denon X2100W. So $330 shipped and get bluetooth, wifi and 3 year warranty vs the 1 year.

Even better! Good find!

With about a $1000 budget; I would go with 2 170s as mains, a 340 center, and a Rythmik LV12r. I can attest that the 340s are great speakers (I spend way to many late nights listening to music with them), but if you go with the 170s right now, you can upgrade to 340s later and move the 170s to surround duty for a timbre matched system.

I can also attest to the LV12r. My room is 17x13x8 without the extra open space you have, but I also have my sub volume level only at 10 o'clock and my x4000 still reduces SPL -2.5db; so, you would be fine. The LV12r sounds great and this sub measures extremely well in my untreated room as well. It doesn't start to roll off until 20 hz in my room and the transient response is suprisingly clean for an untreated room (I can't wait to see how well this measures with some room treatments).

Good luck with any decision you make. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I have a question (or 2) about the sierra towers. I have a Denon x2100w as I mentioned above. 1) Is this enough power (95w per channel) to run the Sierra towers or should I get another amp? 2) Is there a space these must sit from the wall? I was looking into doing the DIY statements, but they require 12-18 inches behind them.

I do not have the Sierra Towers, but looking at the sensitivity, 92dB in room, I'd say that 95W should be enough to give you a good sound pressure, although that is dependent on how loud you like to listen... Consider that 3dB of speaker sensitivity difference is equal to doubling of halving the power used to feed it. For example, 95W with a 92dB speaker will sound as loud as 190W with a 89dB speaker.

Be aware though, that the Sierra tower have 4 Ohm nominal impedance. The lower the impedance, the more current the receiver has to provide. That may not sit well with some AVRs. However, looking at this write up on the Denon web site, they do not seem to consider it a problem:

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-or-power-amps

Dave or somebody else from Ascend can comment on the actual impedance profile of the Sierra Towers, as 4 Ohm is the nominal value. Same for the recommended distance from the wall, although a lot depend on the room acoustic. Generally speaking, all speakers benefit from some distance from walls, rear ported speakers even more so. Putting them too close to a wall would most likely make the bass too "boomy".