Thread: Question for SVS and Hsu owners

David,

I have had the PB1+ and 20-39PC+ in my home...next to my VTF-3. From what I heard, the SVS's did not articulate as well/the "attack and decay" were not as clean. This is not a knock on the subs, because if I didn't have a VTF-3, I would not have known the difference....and would have been ecstatic with either one.

The PB+ was better than the 20-39PC+. The PB1+ and VTF-3 were more difficult to tell apart.

My understanding is the SVS Ultra subs do a better jub in that area, but I have not heard them.

-curtis

David-

I have to support Curtis' points. I had the chance to do a little personal research regarding both of these companies. They both produce a great product and support the customer well.

That being said, I prefer the Hsu. My mains are not Ascends, but PSB Stratus Silvers, and these speakers blend seemlessly with my Ascend surround array (but that is a topic for another thread, by the way, I did that).

I had the oportunity to audition some SVS subs and some Hsu subs both alone and in a shootout (I just like that term better than a comparison). When they were side by side the Hsu just seemed to appeal to me more.

If I had just listened to one or the other without having both subs there to compare, I would be happy with either the SVS or the Hsu.

If you can, take some time and listen to each sub before you buy. I believe both companies have a strong customer support system and have lists of the faithfull who would be more than happy to demonstrate the subs. That is how I formed my opinion, personal experience, not by the numbers.

By the way, are you road or mountain or both?

Dave Nelms

Thanks for the response, Dave. I use to race both road and mountain but since I got married and bought a house, I only ride the road for pleasure now. If I had more time, I'd love to get back into mountain biking but it won't be this year. Still have my Dean with XTR and Magura's.
    I won't get a chance to audition both subs. I'm going to go on gut instinct. I'm hoping that Hsu has a response to the new SVS-10. An American made sub with the numbers that SVS is supplying should prompt Hsu to raise the bar on their end. I don't think they can stand pat. Timing is everything and I don't believe time is on Hsu's side. I'm going to attempt to be patient which is not my strong suit. As Dave F. stated last month. More bang for the buck is not too far away in the subwoof market.

David

One other thing to add. Hsu is apparently going to be a hybrid company(part direct, part dealer). They appear to be going the dealer route in Canada. I know they've done CompUSA and Ascend here in the States but as dealers become more prevelent, protecting dealer margins becomes a real issue. This will have some effect in their ability to price products competitively in the direct marketplace. With production in China, Hsu has quite a bit of financial room to play with vs. SVS but who benefits from that advantage may be changing more and more to the middlemen. Increasing sales can offset this some degree but if you've ever worked with dealer margins, that's a heck of a lot to offset.
    Thoughts?

David