Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Ascend

Default Re: New to Ascend

Thanks David!
    Hi David!
    Regarding the Denon 5200:
    In one of the reviews I read. Someone wrote that it with 4 Ohm speakers they may draw too much power and cause the Receiver to overheat if run at Reference Levels. So that is what I'm concerned about. Another owner said it would off a lot of heat and hooked up an external fan to cool it. Then another owner said it isn't a good idea to use an external fan to cool it because this caused the heat to become trapped inside the Denon 5200 Receiver.
    I think I am going to have to get a locking audio cabinet to protect all this expensive equipment!

Thanks so much!

MariJ

Quote Originally Posted by marriJAI View Post
    Thanks David!
    Hi David!
    Regarding the Denon 5200:
    In one of the reviews I read. Someone wrote that it with 4 Ohm speakers they may draw too much power and cause the Receiver to overheat if run at Reference Levels. So that is what I'm concerned about. Another owner said it would off a lot of heat and hooked up an external fan to cool it. Then another owner said it isn't a good idea to use an external fan to cool it because this caused the heat to become trapped inside the Denon 5200 Receiver.
    I think I am going to have to get a locking audio cabinet to protect all this expensive equipment!

Thanks so much!

MariJ
    You really don't have anything to be concerned with. That said, our towers are not 4 ohm speakers. Their *minimum* impedance is 4 ohms, their average impedance is 8 ohms. I know it can be confusing, but speaker impedance varies with frequency. It can often be as low as 2-3 ohms and can jump as high as 50 ohms. Look at the impedance graph for the towers. It hovers at around 5 ohms from about 100Hz to 1kHz (about 3 octaves) and then hovers around 9-10 ohms from about 1.5kHz and up. The real issue is impedance in combination with phase angle. At lower impedances, you want less reactance (minor phase angles). You will notice with the towers, when the impedance is at 5 ohms, the phase angle is very minor

you will have no issues with any Denon receiver.

Nominal or Average impedance is typically determined by what the average impedance is, not the minimum impedance. Minimum impedance for 4 ohm speakers typically drops well below 3 ohms.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi David!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me. There seem to be a good number of people who don't understand (like me) the physics behind the working of the electronic components in a music system. I have drooled over the Ascend Towers for 2 years and have finally gotten enough $$ together to get them. I want to make sure I get the right receiver to do them justice. I've seen some good reviews on Marantz, Anthem and Cambridge Audio Receivers, also. Should I buy the newest model like the DenonAVR-7200W or Marantz SR 7010? Have they improved the quality of the signal? The sound quality? That is the question.
    Happy listening to you.

MariJ

Quote Originally Posted by marriJAI View Post
    Hi David!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me. There seem to be a good number of people who don't understand (like me) the physics behind the working of the electronic components in a music system. I have drooled over the Ascend Towers for 2 years and have finally gotten enough $$ together to get them. I want to make sure I get the right receiver to do them justice. I've seen some good reviews on Marantz, Anthem and Cambridge Audio Receivers, also. Should I buy the newest model like the DenonAVR-7200W or Marantz SR 7010? Have they improved the quality of the signal? The sound quality? That is the question.
    Happy listening to you.

MariJ
    I am now using a pair of ribbon towers in my home with a measly Onkyo TX SR-600 and they sound fantastic and fill a very large room.... Honestly, you are not going to go wrong with any of your choices
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave!

I'm still trying to decide. Decisions, Decisions...

MarriJ

Hey marrijay

If you like Marantz and have $3,000.00 to spend then the reference PM-14S1 integrated amp is the way to go. Lots of great clean power, superb integrated phono amp both mm and mc, for stereo music listening nothing beats it in my opinion. I have the raal towers with the PM-15S2 (earlier similar model) and a VPI Classic turntable/Lyra Kleos cart and I would put up that sound against anyone. Simplicity in the set up and yet complete, that's the beauty of the Marantz, and the reference line is built in Japan, which is a huge plus as your son pointed out. And if you already bought an amp, discard this info
    Pierre

Hi there Pierreterrier!
    I will keep your suggestion about purchasing Marantz PM-14S in mind while I'm looking. Thank you got your opinion. I will modt definitely keep it in mind while I'm shopping! Thanks again!
    MarriJai