Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What movie/CD do YOU use to show off your system?

Eddie, it all boils down to your particular musical tastes. Two of my favorite DVDs are ELO's "Zoom" and Yes' "Symphonic Live". Also the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" in dts is very worthwhile.

Thanks, Ben. For years, the only place I listened to music was in the car. Now that I have a solid home system, delving into music at home sounds more and more appealing. I have several hundred regular CD's, but I'm wanting some ideas for 5.1 music. Don't have a universal player yet, but that's on the short list for my next equipment purchase. Mainly, I'm just having fun with this thread. Whenever I'm browsing forums and come across something I haven't seen or heard, it gets written down on sticky notes so it can go on later shopping lists.

One that is really good is "Underworld"...not a great movie, but good sound. I just watched some of "Casper" with the kids...and that sounded good too. "Saving Private Ryan" is excellent.

For music(2-channel), I love Ray Montford's "Shed Your Skin" disc, and Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go". For 5.1, Ben's Eagle suggestion is great. Diana Krall's stuff is also very good. A recent DVD-A I just got, and I think is excellent is Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia". Another 2-channel disc I like and is a bit overlooked is Peter Malick Group's (Featuring Norah Jones) "New York City".

To be honest, anything that is well recorded, sounds good on my system. []

The "Darla!", "Pod Race" and "Ring Drop" scenes are really just bass heavy scenes for showing off subs.

-curtis

Thanks, guys. Underworld and the Eagles goes on the list. I've also heard good things about Blue Man Group's "The Complex". That is, if that's your thing.

Oh yeah...I have the "The Complex" DVD-A...that is pretty high charged stuff. I think there are two "Underworlds", you want the one with Kate Beckinsdale. You may want Kate Beckinsdale as well...but that is a different thread. []

-curtis

I think any movie with a good sound mix will make a good demo.
    One of my favorites is "Terminator 2". Check out the first five
    or ten minutes. It starts with a low bass rumble (with credits
    on black). 7 out of 10 listeners can tell which model sub you
    own just by hearing this passage.
    The beginning of this movie gives your whole system a workout.
    There's dialogue (Linda Hamilton's voiceover), sound effects
    (that endoskeleton crunching the skull!), laser hits, explosions,
    and music, all of it rapidfire, crisp and clear. Lots of surround
    effects and fun stuff...all recorded at the dawn of digital movie
    sound and mixed to Jim Cameron's compulsive standards!

Anyway, I like it.
    Rick[]

p.s.- another terrific sound mix is "Chronicles of Riddick", lousy
    movie, but I'll bet this will be a demo favorite when it's released!

Blade II
    The Haunting
    Toy Story II
    Monsters Inc
    Black Hawk Down

Wow!! Just got through watching Blue Man Group's "The Complex" live DVD. Awesome surprise appearance by Tracy Bonham. It also contains 3 DTS audio only tracks. The DVD portion is Dolby Digital. This is very cool.

Dr. Cheskys Surround Sound Demo Disc (that is not the official title but I am at work and currently working from memory)

I mentioned this disc over in the High Res/Multi Channel section but it also has an interesting Dolby Digital mix. This disc has everything except visuals. But, if you are looking for excellent surround sound demo material, pick this one up.

Dave Nelms

Clapton recordings always seem to sound amazing, I think he just has the recording process down to a science at this point so the quality of his guitar and vocals are considerably better then other artists, IMO of course.

Steve