Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Right height for bookshelves

Default Re: Right height for bookshelves

Resurrecting this to triple check before I pick up my Sierra 2's on Friday.
    My listening room doubles as a recording studio, so when listening to audio I sit in a desk chair which puts my ears at about 46" from the ground.
    So, would I be looking for 36 inch stands then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Resurrecting this to triple check before I pick up my Sierra 2's on Friday.
    My listening room doubles as a recording studio, so when listening to audio I sit in a desk chair which puts my ears at about 46" from the ground.
    So, would I be looking for 36 inch stands then?
    With an ear height of 46", I would recommend ~ 36" stands...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you Dave.

I was planning on purchasing the TP-24 stands with Sierra-2s for my home theater putting the acoustic center at 33" (24" height + 9" to the acoustic center). I think my ear height when seated is closer to 39" but I'm sitting about 10' back, will this make a significant difference?

I believe that with the 24" stands it will make the LR channels line up fairly closely with the height of my center channel, which will be below my TV so unfortunately I don't have much height adjustments for that (other than perhaps putting something below the center to raise it up ~1" or so).

I will say I like that the TP-24s match the satin black Sierra 2s, so if a taller stand would be recommended are there any specific stands anyone could recommend that match the Sierras fairly well?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post
    I will say I like that the TP-24s match the satin black Sierra 2s, so if a taller stand would be recommended are there any specific stands anyone could recommend that match the Sierras fairly well?
    One thing to keep in mind is that the TP-24 sands are made of MDF and the S2's are made of Bamboo, so there may be a slight difference in how they look. Don't know if that matters to you or not.

I use these stands and I love them. They come in 4 different heights.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGLS300
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I think "close enough" is fine, but i like that it gives them a sort of tower look, and I also like the included back plate to secure them to the stands.

Those ones are nice, but they don't appear to be fillable with sand which I've heard can make a pretty big difference?

I was planning on purchasing the TP-24 stands with Sierra-2s for my home theater putting the acoustic center at 33" (24" height + 9" to the acoustic center). I think my ear height when seated is closer to 39" but I'm sitting about 10' back, will this make a significant difference?

I believe that with the 24" stands it will make the LR channels line up fairly closely with the height of my center channel, which will be below my TV so unfortunately I don't have much height adjustments for that (other than perhaps putting something below the center to raise it up ~1" or so).

Hi King,

I just wanted to clarify something - the satin black bamboo finish does not match the finish on the TP-24 stands. These stands are a textured black matte wrap. To match the stands - you would need to order black matte Sierra-2 (which we also have). The black matte for the Sierra-2 is a painted textured black matte, a higher quality finish compared to the TP-24 - so not an *exact* match but close enough.

Thanks again!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I think "close enough" is fine, but i like that it gives them a sort of tower look, and I also like the included back plate to secure them to the stands.

Those ones are nice, but they don't appear to be fillable with sand which I've heard can make a pretty big difference?
    To each their own, but I'd rather have the Satin finish over the Matte one most of the time, although right now in my dark HT room I'm kind of wishing I had the Matte finish...

The Pangea stands are fillable with sand, but if you're running wires through one of the poles you wouldn't want to fill that one with sand. The opening isn't very large though so you'd want to use a really fine grain.

I don't fill my stands. The Pangea stands are really heavy without any filler. Just having speakers on stands makes a huge difference.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Yeah I do like the Satin finish as well, I'm also considering natural as well.

Yeah I do like the Satin finish as well, I'm also considering natural as well.
    You can't see the grain in the wood from a distance (although up close it looks incredible) on the Satin finish, so the coolest part about the Natural finish is that you see all of the beauty in the bamboo. If you're going for a dedicated music listening setup, I'd go with Natural on the Pangea stands, it would look jaw dropping gorgeous IMHO. Add the Rythmik sub, Schiit DAC and preamp of your choice when your budget allows and there's a world class system right there.
    -Alex