Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right height for bookshelves

Default Right height for bookshelves

I have been considering Sierra 2's for my LRC channels in my living room for some time now. In preparation, I am looking at stands for the left and right channels. My question - what is the optimum height for the speakers? I have heard the that the tweeter should be at ear level. But I have also heard that the middle of the speaker (between the woofer and tweeter) should be at ear level to allow for blending of the woofer and tweeter. My ears are about 42" off the ground when sitting. That gives me around 30" stands for option A or 36" for option B. What does Ascend recommend? I will be sitting about 9 feet from each speaker. I think that only comes out to 3 degrees difference between the two options, but I might as well get it as close to optimum as I can since I haven't purchased the stands yet.

Default Re: Right height for bookshelves

The acoustic center of the speaker is between the woofer and tweeter, which is about 9" from the bottom of the speaker. The middle of the tweeter is about 11.5" from the bottom of the speaker.

That said, at 9', you won't hear the difference, IMO. Between the two choices, I think it would be better to think about getting the stand so the LR height is closest to center speaker, or the center of the TV.
    -curtis

I generally recommend stands between 26" - 30". That said, as Curtis mentioned, at your listening distance -- you would never hear a difference of a few degrees above or below.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

so a 24" stand is a no go?

Quote Originally Posted by andrey View Post
    so a 24" stand is a no go?
    That's not what we are saying.

How high are your ears when seated at the listening position?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That's not what we are saying.

How high are your ears when seated at the listening position?
    sorry, I probably misunderstood.. height ranges between 36-39", as well not sure if this helps, but if considering sitting in the sweet spot, the distance to rears and surround speakers would be in the range of 6-8'
    thanks

sorry, I probably misunderstood.. height ranges between 36-39", as well not sure if this helps, but if considering sitting in the sweet spot, the distance to rears and surround speakers would be in the range of 6-8'
    thanks
    Then 36-39" is where you want the acoustic center of the front speakers to be when on stands. That would be the ultimate. Dave's general recommendation would just about be perfect in your situation.

For HT purposes, you would want the surrounds to be about 2-3 feet higher than that.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Then 36-39" is where you want the acoustic center of the front speakers to be when on stands. That would be the ultimate. Dave's general recommendation would just about be perfect in your situation.

For HT purposes, you would want the surrounds to be about 2-3 feet higher than that.
    My fronts are Sierra Towers and center is Horizon, the surrounds and rears are Sierra-2s, and this setup includes 4 ceiling speakers and 2 subs (7.2.4)

If I follow your advise for surrounds (2-3 feet higher), and taking into account the value for ac. center of S2s of 9 inches from bottom, I'll need a stand height of at least 48-50 inches.. since no such stand is available, I need several shelves..

considering that my ceiling speakers will act on behalf of height channels too, do you still recommend to position surrounds and rears that high?

thanks

Hello I'm new to this forum. I'm living in Vienna Austria and am seeking the opportunity to listen to the Sierra 2's and would also LOVE to listen to the Ascend Tower's.

My fronts are Sierra Towers and center is Horizon, the surrounds and rears are Sierra-2s, and this setup includes 4 ceiling speakers and 2 subs (7.2.4)

If I follow your advise for surrounds (2-3 feet higher), and taking into account the value for ac. center of S2s of 9 inches from bottom, I'll need a stand height of at least 48-50 inches.. since no such stand is available, I need several shelves..

considering that my ceiling speakers will act on behalf of height channels too, do you still recommend to position surrounds and rears that high?

thanks
    Sorry...didn't realize you have Sierra Towers already....the thread started as stands for the front stage.

My advice is what is recommended by Dolby, DTS, THX, etc. You should probably research their recommendations.
    -curtis