Thread: Would Ascend consdier in-ceiling speakers?

Default Would Ascend consdier in-ceiling speakers?

Edit: sorry for the typo in the title. Hit submit too quick.

I know this is a long shot, but thought I'd ask if Ascend has/would consider building in-ceiling speakers. I know in-ceiling is a big compromise compared to bookshelf and towers, but there is a market for it, and I, unfortunately, put myself in that demographic when I moved into my new house. Neither of the two living rooms in my new house work with my current towers and Horizon center. The net of it is, to make the room work, I have to mount my TV over the fireplace and go with in-ceiling speakers, at least for my center and surrounds.

I love my Ascend's so much that I've put off the renovation for several months now. I tried to find ways to make it work , but the hard truth is I need to go in-ceiling. I figured I'd ask if Ascend would be willing to undertake a in-ceiling project...perhaps a Sierra-2 in ceiling. Pretty please .
    Last edited by jahjd2000; 08-06-2015 at 01:55 PM. Reason: words

Default Re: Would Ascend consdier in-ceiling speakers?

There are already some good in-ceiling speakers. Golden Ear ones use ribbon tweeters.
    http://www.goldenear.com/products/invisa-series

Could you use in wall LCR speakers and ceiling ones for surrounds? There are even good in-wall subs.
    A good home theater dealer/installer can advise you. The sky is the limit on price.

I am using ceiling speakers for surrounds with Sierra-2 LCR and am pretty happy.

Thanks, Blutarsky. I have considered other in-ceiling speakers but can't let go of that signature sound of the towers and Horizon. Before I part with my Ascends I figure I'd give it a shot.

I will take a look at the GoldenEar in ceilings...thanks for the recommendation. The two alternatives I've been considering are Triad and Martin Logan's architectural series.

I would consider in wall plus ceiling speakers myself someday. There is always a ratio between appearance and audio quality. I have been in a home with very good in wall speakers. It was sort of magical to have the great sound emanating from nowhere. In wall speakers are getting very good. The Wisdom ones look damn good and pricey too.
    http://hometheaterreview.com/in-wall...s-information/
    B

A thread last summer discussed Atmos options with Ascend speakers: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ighlight=Atmos

I think I found a way to utilize my Ascend speakers in my living room. This weekend I purchased a Corridor 8719 media console from BDI. It's a gorgeous piece of furniture. Because of the high WAF factor (it'll also fully conceal my Horizon center), the wife was willing to compromise on the TV location.

The downside is the TV will suffer from glare because it's opposite a large sliding glass window that we like to keep open because of the view. Also, the Horizon will be behind horizontal wood louvers. The manufacturer said the wood slates shouldn't interfere with the sound. If it does, worst case scenario I could leave the door ajar when I watch a movie. If I can't tell a different (I'll do a blind A/B test...door open/close), this media console could be a great fit for prospective Horizon buyers wanting high WAF.

It was quite the melodrama but I'm crossing my fingers the wifey will like the new arrangement.

We tried a BDI console with a Horizon on the enclosed shelf. Soon after we mounted our monitor on the wall and placed the Horizon under it on the console. The sound seemed too low and the sound smothered. It really is easy to wall mount a TV. Crutchfield has a calculator for hole placement for nearly every TV and mount made depending on the height you want the TV. There are paintable covers to hide the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    We tried a BDI console with a Horizon on the enclosed shelf. Soon after we mounted our monitor on the wall and placed the Horizon under it on the console. The sound seemed too low and the sound smothered. It really is easy to wall mount a TV. Crutchfield has a calculator for hole placement for nearly every TV and mount made depending on the height you want the TV. There are paintable covers to hide the wires.
    Which BDI console do you have? My TV is mounted today, but not enough to clear the Horizon on top of the console. I could raise the TV but it's currently at a good height.

We now have a Salamander Mission style 3 door console. I forget which BDI we had. We resisted wall mounting our TV for a while, but looks so much better and clears the center speaker.

One of the issues with using ribbon tweeters in ceiling speakers is that the dispersion pattern of typical ribbons (including AMT, Planar etc) does not lend itself well to ceiling use, where one would want a symmetrical 360 degree pattern. This is why most ceiling speakers are coaxial.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com