Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Im Chris!

Hello Chris,
    I also have the M22's and started with the M3's. I listen to music 100% of the time and was looking for something "accurate". Enter the M3"s. These are a great musical speaker, but always seemed to be lacking in the mids, so I figured, after reading the reviews, that the 22's were what I needed. Now don't get me wrong, I think the 22's are a great speaker, but are more suited for HT than music. After about 1 hour of listening I would get "listener fatigue". When I finally made the decision to purchase ANOTHER set of speakers, I was ready to jump up to the $1500. range, but for every thing I listened to, I just couldn't justify. So I finally decided to take the chance on Ascend (just 325.) Am I glad I did. Once again I can listen to HOURS of music, and feel like I didn't get enough when I'm thru. I am by no means a reviewer, so I will make no attempts at comparisons, I just know what my ears like, and they LOVE the 170's
    P.S. If worried about the looks (some are) I recently finished my DIY sub, veneered in Teak wood (see thread in Other Speakers and Subs)and added some Teak veneered panels to the sides of my 170's, and these not only sound first-class, but look it too.

Good luck

macebanyon-
    Thats exactly how I feel. I would never say the M22's are bad speakers. I think they are a very good speaker. But after a while, it just becomes too much, I hate the word bright, but I just cant listen anymore. I dont listen to them at reference levels either.
    Any yes, I did have them calibrated properly.

I would really like to know what you folks think about the CMT340 center. Has anyone heard the VP100 and the CMT?

got any pictures of those teaked out 170's?

-curtis

ChrisC,

I have heard the M22's and Vp150 a couple of times, and to my ears, they both could be to bright for my tastes. Do a search at the Axiom board under my name, you will find my posts on the listening sessions we had between the Axioms and Ascends. I did like the Axiom's extra detail on some recordings but overall find the Ascends to give a lot of that detail without being harsh or tiring. There is a recent thread on the Axiom board about how some can't listen to their Led Zep discs because they are to harsh, I don't have that problem with the 170's. Good luck finding the right sound for you.

Hello Curtis, here are those pics...
    http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=996731

Sweeeeeeet! Those radiuses would be a bitch to try and veneer, huh?

I think they look great! How are they finished? How are they attached...Liquid-Nails?

Ed

It makes them look like ACI's!

http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Emera...ald%20LE1.html

-curtis

Sweet!!!!!!! How'd you do it? Do tell.

Here is the process-
    I used 1/8” solid oak. Lowes only sold 8” wide stock so I bought 4 pieces of the 1/8x6x24
    and glued 2 of them together.
    I then was able to cut 2 pieces, 11 ¼”x8 4/16” from 1 piece. Then came the inevitable sand,sand,sand.
    After all 4 pieces were sanded SMOOTH, I applied my veneer.
    Then I used a chamfer bit to trim about a 1/16” off of the edge. You can also use a round-over bit or just sand off the sharp edge if you prefer.
    Once again you will have to sand the edges, getting them smooth as possible. I used a Walnut stain to match the Teak as close as possible. After allowing the stain to dry about 12 hours, I again lightly sanded the whole panel, key word is lightly, because the veneer isn’t real thick and you don’t want to sand thru. You can skip the veneer process and just stain the whole panel to your preference.
    I then shot the panels with 5 light coats of lacquer, and then shot 1 heavy coat, allowing about 1 hour dry time between coats.
    After 3 days of curing, I lightly buffed with a 0000 steel wool.
    I then taped of the edges of the speaker, leaving an exposed part of the speaker vinyl about 11”x 8 2/16”. Then lightly scuff with a 220-grit sandpaper. The tape will protect the part of the vinyl that will show after applying the panels. Re-tape if necessary. Then tape off the underside of the panels, about 1/8” around all edges. Apply contact cement to both sides, let set 30 min. then remove tape. VERY CAREFULLY line up one panel at a time and set into place. Anyone having used contact cement before knows that once you let the 2 cemented sides touch, there is no going back. BE VERY PATIENT!
    Once all panels are in place, lay the speaker on its side and use some heavy weight to “clamp” for about 4 hours. You can use wax paper to protect your finished panels from being scratched.
    That’s it.
    Good luck to anyone giving it a try.

Very nice!

Derek