Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Im Chris!

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

As I only have a pair of 170's as my main L/R speakers, I can only comment on these. Like your Axioms, my old B&W's had "Ear-bleeding" highs at higher volumes(they were bright at low volumes too, just not as bad). The Ascends removed the harsh highs and smoothed them out. I gained better midrange as well, though the Axioms are known for their mids as well. As far as soundstage...that may have more to do with room layout and/or speaker placement. I only have one location I can have my speakers and they image pretty good. I know if I moved them closer together they would get better, but I don't have that option right now. Curtis and others here could comment better on the center and surround speakers from Ascend. If they are better than the 170's you won't be disappointed!

Ed

Chris, welcome to the forum.

I believe, on Audio Asylum, somebody posted something about the Ascends CBM-170 compared to a Triangle Titus....I never read it, but it was mentioned in another forum.

I have also read unfavorable remarks about the Axioms centers...have you tried the VP150?

If you hear a pair of Ascends, let us know what you think. I could swear there was an Ascend owner in the Boston area, but I do not see one listed in our demo list.

-curtis

I ran through home theater forum and didnt see any type or ascend vs. triangle review.
    I havent heard the VP 150.
    Its funny some people on the forums say they find very similar to the VP100, and othes say the VP150 is much better. I guess you really need to hear it for yourself.
    I found the soundstage from the M22s to be very nice. With the Vp100, all of the vocals and music running through it sounded very small. I tried adjusting everything I could, and it still sounded like it was coming from a small box. I also understand that this was just my room and my experience
    -I have read that the CBM170's are very transparent and disappear. Thats exactly what I am looking for

I have the CMT-340 mains, a CMT-340 center, and CBM-170's for surround duty. The soundstage for the front 3 is seamless from left to right. When playing DVD-Audio or SACD through my Ascends, the music is enveloping and doesn't seem to come from "boxes". I've had several friends comment on how good the sound was, and even the wife, who doesn't give a rip about my hobby, loves them. Yesterday I spent some time in a local high end audio/video store. I listened to several selections from Martin Logan, Monitor Audio, and Jamo. I must say that I did hear a set of speakers that sounded better than my Ascends. However, this particular pair cost a whopping SIX times what my CMT-340's cost per pair, and did not sound six times as good. Not even close. My Ascends are hands down the best decision I've made in my HT purchases. The center channel is detailed and never boxy. The mains rock and the CBM-170's do a wonderful job with surround and hi-res multichannel music. Nuff said.

Chris,
    the last thing you want to do is be unhappy. that's true in all aspects of life.

i tried the ascends and they were just what i was looking for in terms of sound reproduction, price, and selection. so many other speakers had such a large difference when panning across the soundstage with their various speakers.

try the 170s. shipping is cheap. you and your wife will be the ultimate judge of the sound. whatever makes you guys happy.

Chris,

What are you using for a subwoofer?

-curtis

Im using the HSU Stf-2
    but....that new SVS is making me think.

I'm considering the SVS-10 as well but if I already had the STF-2, I'd be updating my center and surrounds first. The SVS will go lower but I'm concerned it may not be up to the Hsu for music reproduction. I'm still on the fence.
    Should have my 340's in a couple weeks. Still waiting on the stands. Thank goodness the weather's perfect. I don't spend much time listening to music when it's this nice outside.

David

David and Chris, there is a difference in the sound in the SVS subs I have heard compared to my VTF-3. I am not sure if it is a preference thing, but I thought my VTF-3 sounded better.

So it is possible you will get deeper, but also different. Just like speakers.

-curtis

I am all set for know with my Stf-2, I think its fantastic
    I am really looking forward to hearing some more speakers
    Ascend 170's
    JM Lab Chorus 706's
    KEF Q1's