Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To fill or not to fill CMT-340 pedestal stands?

Default To fill or not to fill CMT-340 pedestal stands?

Who has filled their 340 pedestal stands and did you notice a difference in sound after doing so? I think they sound great now but didn't want to fill them if it doesn't really make a difference in sound quality.

Default Re: To fill or not to fill CMT-340 pedestal stands?

I filled my 340s' pedestal stands each with a 50 lb bag of sand. I didn't do a before and after. So all I can say is they sound amazing right now, but this article said it made a difference. http://www.highfidelityreview.com/as...mt-340-se.html

What type of sand did you use. I look for sand and it's either got moisture in it or is loaded with silica dust (industrial sand). I'm considering loading with small gravel instead, which is easier to dry out completely

I always use kiln dried sand. I Googled it for silica dust, and it is true it is present.
    I will use a filtration mask next time. I don't think it will become airborne just sitting there.

I just used quickrete play sand. It was dry as a bone. So dry in fact, that it is well advised when pouring that you do it outside or you will have dust on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    I just used quickrete play sand. It was dry as a bone. So dry in fact, that it is well advised when pouring that you do it outside or you will have dust on everything.
    Interesting. I looked at that product at HD, and it seemed there was moisture condensing in the bag. I picked up some small gravel instead. I saw here on one of the forums that Dave f. Suggested using clumping cat litter. Clumping or not, I like that idea, as the clay will absorb moisture and prevent any moisture buildup against the MDF where sand will not. Still, wear a mask and run the vacuum when filling to collect the dust..!

Sorry to hear that. I think sometimes it can be a crapshoot with the sand, especially if they are selling it outside. In a climate controlled house, as long as you put something dry in there to begin with, you will be fine as far as moisture goes so I wouldn't worry about it
    Last edited by Johnny_Mac_III; 11-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Use Cat liter to fill it.. That will be completely dry.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...s-cheap-filler

Just saw this thread and wanted to highlight that aquarium gravel and packing peanuts are an alternative too.

I recommend aquarium gravel too. it's sterile and there are various sizes from fine sand to course pebbles.