Thread: Upgrade option from Sierra-1 NrT

Default Upgrade option from Sierra-1 NrT

Was going to add this to the Rythmik F8 thread.

Have had Sierra-1 NrTs (L/C/R), upgraded from non NrTs, for a few years now. Have recently moved them into a larger space and was thinking about an upgrade.

I love the NrT sound and, while a bit tempted by the purported neutrality of the RAALs, I'm not sure if such an upgrade wouldn't be largely lost on me.

So I'm thinking about adding a pair of (relatively) lower cost subs. I like the F8s because they are small (foot print especially) and, from the F8 thread, would seem to offer the most musical bottom end (largely due to faster transients). However, Rythmik (Brian) seems to recommend against the F8s if you are not matching with something that needs to be crossed over at >120Hz. We all know the Sierras do not quite apply. Yet there are Dave's agonizingly sparse posts about how "impressed" he is with a pair of F8s with the towers...

To add to this, Rythmik seems to be about to release a sealed version of the LV12r (LV12).

Without going on needlessly, I have an upgrade budget that will top out not too much over $1,500. A pair of F12s would be getting a bit pricey. But regardless, I'm not sure I need that much low end as, over half the time, I am satisfied with bass output of the Sierras alone and am not going for reference level home theater effecs (and the footprint starts to become an issue).

My options then are:

1)Pair of F8s.

2)Wait for LV12 (I suppose no one can answer this until they are released, but is there any reason why the F8 would clearly be superior - the LV12 will almost certainly be cheaper, will probably come with 1/2 the power (ie, 1 300W module instead of 2, etc))

3)Other (ie, pair of SVS SB2000s)?

4)I am kind of set on adding subs to the sierras, but I suppose upgrading two of them to NrT towers might be an option instead? Unfortunately, I can't afford both a tower upgrade and subs at the moment.
    Last edited by cynan; 06-01-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Default Re: Upgrade option from Sierra-1 NrT

Quote Originally Posted by cynan View Post

To add to this, Rythmik seems to be about to release a sealed version of the LV12r (LV12).
    I think its being called L12. I already asked Brian(Rythmik) about this option and he said that it is an entry level sub and unless budget is a serious issue one should stick with F12. I asked him what he thinks of F8 in that case but still awaiting a reply.

Yes. I have started to hate both Dave and Brian for their laconic responses. The suspense is killing me. I just don't want to pull the trigger on F8s and realize that F12s would have been a better alternative. My requirement is EXACTLY like yours- fill the musical end with a small foot print only if it is THE thing to do.

L12. Yes, that makes more sense.

Well, the obvious thing to do is to get a pair of F8s and a single F12. Set the low pass on the F8s to 80Hz and the high pass to 30Hz (ie, high HT mode on F8s). Then set the F12 low pass to do <30Hz for that last 15-20Hz of low end extension

I'll jump right on that and let you know how awesome it is

Quote Originally Posted by cynan View Post
    Was going to add this to the Rythmik F8 thread.

Have had Sierra-1 NrTs (L/C/R), upgraded from non NrTs, for a few years now. Have recently moved them into a larger space and was thinking about an upgrade.

I love the NrT sound and, while a bit tempted by the purported neutrality of the RAALs, I'm not sure if such an upgrade wouldn't be largely lost on me.

So I'm thinking about adding a pair of (relatively) lower cost subs. I like the F8s because they are small (foot print especially) and, from the F8 thread, would seem to offer the most musical bottom end (largely due to faster transients). However, Rythmik (Brian) seems to recommend against the F8s if you are not matching with something that needs to be crossed over at >120Hz. We all know the Sierras do not quite apply. Yet there are Dave's agonizingly sparse posts about how "impressed" he is with a pair of F8s with the towers...

Without going on needlessly, I have an upgrade budget that will top out not too much over $1,500. A pair of F12s would be getting a bit pricey. But regardless, I'm not sure I need that much low end as, over half the time, I am satisfied with bass output of the Sierras alone and am not going for reference level home theater effecs (and the footprint starts to become an issue).

My options then are:

1)Pair of F8s.

2)Wait for LV12 (I suppose no one can answer this until they are released, but is there any reason why the F8 would clearly be superior - the LV12 will almost certainly be cheaper, will probably come with 1/2 the power (ie, 1 300W module instead of 2, etc))

3)Other (ie, pair of SVS SB2000s)?

4)I am kind of set on adding subs to the sierras, but I suppose upgrading two of them to NrT towers might be an option instead? Unfortunately, I can't afford both a tower upgrade and subs at the moment.
    For your budget and with ultimate sound quality in mind, If it were me - I would go with dual F8's. These are the subs I am now using in my own home.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

F8 is for those with need for a higher crossover point (100hz and above). It is recommended to use a pair of them.

Dave likes them for their mid-bass clarity. In my own opinion, Sierra has a pretty good low end extension. In that case, one can save money and use a single F12.
    Last edited by RythmikAudio; 06-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RythmikAudio View Post
    F8 is for those with need for a higher crossover point (100hz and above). It is recommended to use a pair of them.

Dave likes them for their mid-bass clarity. In my own opinion, Sierra has a pretty good low end extension. In that case, one can save money and use a single F12.
    I also like them for their transient accuracy

Keep in mind the customer is considering either dual F8's or a single F12. In my home, tested with Sierra-2 and also with our towers -- the dual F8's significantly outperform a single F12. Of course, every room is different but there are just so many advantages to having dual subs, especially ones as easy to optimally place as the F8. Dual F12's would likely be the best option, but I believe that to be out of budget.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com