Thread: Upgrade option from Sierra-1 NrT

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Upgrade option from Sierra-1 NrT

Was going to add this to the Rythmik F8 thread.

Have had Sierra-1 NrTs (L/C/R), upgraded from non NrTs, for a few years now. Have recently moved them into a larger space and was thinking about an upgrade.

I love the NrT sound and, while a bit tempted by the purported neutrality of the RAALs, I'm not sure if such an upgrade wouldn't be largely lost on me.

So I'm thinking about adding a pair of (relatively) lower cost subs. I like the F8s because they are small (foot print especially) and, from the F8 thread, would seem to offer the most musical bottom end (largely due to faster transients). However, Rythmik (Brian) seems to recommend against the F8s if you are not matching with something that needs to be crossed over at >120Hz. We all know the Sierras do not quite apply. Yet there are Dave's agonizingly sparse posts about how "impressed" he is with a pair of F8s with the towers...

To add to this, Rythmik seems to be about to release a sealed version of the LV12r (LV12).

Without going on needlessly, I have an upgrade budget that will top out not too much over $1,500. A pair of F12s would be getting a bit pricey. But regardless, I'm not sure I need that much low end as, over half the time, I am satisfied with bass output of the Sierras alone and am not going for reference level home theater effecs (and the footprint starts to become an issue).

My options then are:

1)Pair of F8s.

2)Wait for LV12 (I suppose no one can answer this until they are released, but is there any reason why the F8 would clearly be superior - the LV12 will almost certainly be cheaper, will probably come with 1/2 the power (ie, 1 300W module instead of 2, etc))

3)Other (ie, pair of SVS SB2000s)?

4)I am kind of set on adding subs to the sierras, but I suppose upgrading two of them to NrT towers might be an option instead? Unfortunately, I can't afford both a tower upgrade and subs at the moment.
    Last edited by cynan; 06-01-2015 at 10:48 AM.